Eset and the Application Layer

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Romane, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romane

Romane Guest

Good morning

I just want to know if anyone else has found this problem, and how they fixed it.

I also noticed at Eset that there is version 2.12.3 available, and installing that may even fix the problem, however...

Over the last week or so, I have been having the standard "This has crashed. Tell Microsoft?" message. I said yes today, and then the Microsoft webpage gave me this message:

Error caused by Eset: No specific solution found
    Problem Description:
    An unknown error occurred in the NOD32 Antivirus System created by Eset. This application/driver is loaded during startup and may cause problems even if you are not currently using NOD32 Antivirus System.
    Problem Resolution:
    Microsoft is currently not aware of a specific solution for the problem that you reported. Below are a list of recommendations to take which may help prevent the problem from reoccurring.
    Contact Eset for support or product updates.
    Remove the faulting application or driver. Click here for instructions.
    If this problem continues to occur with the latest product updates for NOD32 Antivirus System we highly recommend you obtain assistance and troubleshooting information directly from Eset.

I am running XP with SP2, and Nod32 version 2.12.2. And I really don't like the options suggested by Microsoft - no point having an anti-virus system when you disable or uninstall it.

Any one with ideas?

Romane

2. 1234

1234 Guest

You can try upgrading the software, but here is a workaround for the MS$ Crash stuff you're getting.

Disable the error reporting function.

Go to

Start
    Control Panel
    System Properties
    Advanced Tab
    Error Reporting (towards the bottom)
    Check disable and check notify for critical

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Before disabling the error message function, can you please do the following:

Download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall Nod32

Remove the Eset Folder from C> Program Files.

Cleaning the registry of the last remaining Eset file.

Reinstall Nod32 version 2.12.3

Update the virus database.

Hope this helps…

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

4. Romane

Romane Guest

Good morning

Thanks for this, but the solution is not viable. When the Application layer crashes, my download manager stops working, and I don't know what other Internet activity. This error reporting dialogue may be a pain, but it is the only way I have of being notified of the crash, with the advantage that often if I follow through by following the link to the Microsoft site, I get better info on what caused the issue. It heped me to solve a hardware conflict on another occaision, when I had no idea where to look because the crash dialogue reported something other than the cuplrit.

Romane

5. Blackspear

Have you tried my advice of uninstalling and reinstalling?

6. Romane

Romane Guest

Good morning

As I said to the previous reply, disabling the error function is not an option. I would liken that to turning up the radio in the car so that the rattle in the motor cannot be heard. I would rather hear the rattle as it helps to identify and then see about fixing the problem.

I downloaded 2.12.3 after making my post last night, and installed it. However, did not do any of the other things you recommended - didn't even think of them. The software appears to have upgraded from 1.12.2 just fine (so far; fingers crossed); has been 24 hours now, everything is running OK, no crashes. Should there be a recurrance, however, will follow all the steps you have outlined.

Thanks for your response.

Romane

7. Romane

Romane Guest

Good morning

(chuckling)

Looks like you slipped between my posts. I had to go out, so bit of a delay between them. My answer is above :)

Romane

8. Blackspear

Evening here ;) :D

I don’t recommend this either…

Good to see :D

Appreciate that, it helps us all to learn :D

My pleasure…

All the best.

9. Rmane

Rmane Guest

Dash, typo - read instead 2.12.2

10. Romane

Romane Registered Member

Good morning

(sigh) It crashed again. Have done the full kill/redo thing this time you suggested in an earlier post - there are actually about two entries in the registry. On reboot, went to 'Update / Update now.

We will see if this reinstall fixes the problem.

Should the Application Layer Gateway Service be crashed by Nod32 again, would it help if I were to forward a copy of the crash-log to Eset that gets sent to Microsoft when one says 'Yes' to the 'Report this crash to Microsoft?" dialogue, and if so, who or what is the correct channel for this?

Enjoy your day

Romane

11. Blackspear

Can you download a fresh copy of Nod32,

Uninstall Nod32

Delete the Eset folder found in C Drive> Program Files

Clean the registry

Reinstall Nod32

See if this fixes the problem

If not try a repair of IMON found in post number 9 here

If this fails can you do the following to repair "Winsock:

Step 1. Delete the corrupted registry keys

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

NOTE: Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2. Install TCP/IP

1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.

2. Click Install.

3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.

4. Click Have Disk.

5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.

6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

7. Restart the computer.

Let us know how you go…

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  12. Romane

Romane Registered Member

Good morning

I have taken a print of your post, but before beginning this process, have had a thought I would like to pass by you. It may be neither the Application Layer Gateway Service, nor Nod32.

Is it possible a third application is conflicting with Nod32, causing Nod32 to have a spack attack which brings down the Application Layer Gateway Service, and thus bringing the blame upon Nod32. I will explain.

After uninstalling Nod32, cleaning the registry and deleting the folder, then reinstalling, I came online and made the post to which you responded. Cruised the Net a little, downloaded my emails, and then, while reading my emails started up Flashget, which I use as my download manager. Not long after, I get the 'This has crashed. Tell Microsoft?' dialogue.

Thinking back, it is only when I have started Flashget working that his crash process has occured. Strangely, the problem has only occured since I comleey crashed XP and did a clean install, including SP2, which leads my thoughts to an incompatibilty between this version of Flashget and XP. Am running an older version, which in turn may have a heartache with XP and/or SP2, which in turn may lead to the chain of events this thread is about.

As an experiment, am going to uninstal Flashget, reinstall the latest version and see if the problem persists. If so, will try the Windows "pretend you are an earlier version of Windows" technique (I have one other program that will only run in this mode). Will report further after trying these.

Enjoy your day

Romane

13. Blackspear

You may have nailed it on the head...

Let us know how you go...

14. Romane

Romane Registered Member

Good morning

A quick update after a long absence.

Am still having a major problem with this issue, but am becoming more certain that, regardless the finger originally being pointed at Nod32, it is actually FlashGet. Have been saying 'yes' everytime now to the query 'send the info to Microsoft' dialogue when the Application Layer Gateway Service crashes, but am not now getting a 'follow this link to see what we think' once it has been sent.

Other issues include dialogues that virtual memory is insufficient, and other times when the Flashget suddenly vanishes altogether - yep, stops running without warning. Other little things also lead me to believe that Flashget is incompatible with XP SP2, or at least with my own setup. Pity - I like the capacity to fine-control the speed of the download.

Am trialing other download managers, so am hopeful that my next report should (assuming that what I have said above is correct) advise that the problem is resolved and that Eset is as reliable as I have always found it in the past.

Enjoy your day

Romane

15. Blackspear

Thanks for the update Romane, will be interested to see what the end results are...

16. andres

andres Guest

could it be possible that i have the exact same problem with nod32 2.12.3 and leechftp?

i have just recently installed nod32 and since then 2 or 3 times i have got a message - Application Layer gateway service has encountered a problem and must be closed.

and i have noticed that it appears only when i use leechftp, not everytime though.

can't figure out the solution. hope you can.

17. Blackspear

Hi Andres, can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread. If you do not hear from Eset within 3 days (allows for weekends), please advise us here...

Let us know how you go…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.