Esential Outbound is NOT guaranteed

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MasterTB, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Much to my dissapointment, ESS does not really offer esential outbound protection. I tried this simple new ICMP test from Comodo (not sure how it works) but even disabling ICMP and setting the firewall to Policy Based mode I could not bock it from sending an ICMP package to any IP addres i set...

Care to tryo_O
    The download is on a Subforum of the Comodo Firewall Forum, sadly you have to register to get to it BUT if someone tells me how to post, attach an exe I'll gladly make it available... solved: <Link removed. No unknown executable files should be posted here. - Ron>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
  2. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

MasterTB

We have to look at the ESS and see that not completed 1 years .... and no software is perfect.

The entire structure will be shaped over time .... until a pattern set by the company ... it is clear that if anything was done was beginning to signal that our suggestions were invalid, then I think the first listening Eset their users and then deploy whatever, but that does not indicate that it is implanted in the next day and everything has to go through rigorous tests of QA.

I hope in the near future we can see these products even more than today.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
  3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

nodyforever:

I understand what you say and I realize that ESS is a baby born software, still, blocking ICMP attempts shouldn't be that hard, Unless this program is using some sort of leak technique that I'm not aware of...

Anyway, my post came because I was surprised that even disabling the built in rules that allow ICMP and setting the firewall on Policy Based Mode I still could not block the request, even more, ESS did not catch the program connecting, my gues it is another leaktesting utility, and in that case it is understandable that it was not detected given Eset's policy on this.

Anyway, I'm not going to switch Eset for Comodo, Just giving more info on what the program can do and what to expect when using it.

4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

seems pretty clever program, doesnt even show up its making a connection with sysinternals TCPview nor nirsofts Currports:eek:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

In that case, anyone that wants that file should register.

6. papubhai

papubhai Registered Member

use comodo as a firewall ess is crap nod32 rocks

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Very smart post of yours :eek: (ironically)
    I can say the same for COMODO or any other product

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  8. nodyforever

Hilarius comment :D

*puppy* *puppy* *puppy*

:cautious:

ESS the best suite :) one day the competition will be open from mouth to results of ESS

9. papubhai

papubhai Registered Member

definitely one day essswill be best that will be version 4 not version 3

10. nodyforever

It has necessarily to be the version 4.0?

Many people speak of version 4.0 but still nobody knows anything in concrete ....

Have you thought the time it took ....the version 1.0 to version 2.5 and 2.5 move to the 2.7 and therefore to version 3.0?

Who knows will not be the version 3.5 to be the next ... I hope not to delude people with versions fictitious ... ... .. because nobody knows for sure what will be the next version unless you are already in alpha phase which I do not believe because I have not been informed so far nothing to be suspicious.

Cheers

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What version 4 ? ESET is not like other companies that produce new versions every year (v6 , v7 , v8 ) or 2006 , 2007 , 2008 , 2009 ... no .

v2 has first appeared in the 1H of 2004 , v3 appeared in the end of 2007 (more or less 4 years between the two versions) . In these 4 years ESET have improved the current version , not producing new ones.

Previously v1 to v2 (I don't know but it has been more than an year) . So for v4 one will need to wait reeeeeeallllllly much......

12. nodyforever

Hi,

Version 1.0 to 2.0 (1998-2005) = 7 years

papubhai wait 4 to 7 years ... for version 4.0

Regards :D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  13. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

uh nevermind versions, lets hope that eset fix how the firewall just allows COT.exe outbound ICMP access..
    just tested in avmware with outpost 4.0, and even that can block this cot.exe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.