Erunt for NT/2K/XP

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by THESNOWMAN GUY, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ERUNT: The Emergency Recovery Utility NT will help you Backup, restore and optimize your NT/2000/XP registry.

Features:
    - Backup the Windows NT/2000/XP registry to a folder of your choice.
    - System and current user registries selectable.
    - Command-line switches for automated use of ERUNT
    - Restore the registry in Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP and MS-DOS (all-in-one restore program)
    - All programs in this package are completely localizable.

Also included in this package is NTREGOPT; a program for optimizing the registry

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1267.html

USE AT OWN RISK USE AT OWN RISK USE AT OWN RISK

whew....that should tell everyone...USE AT OWN RISK

2. bch

bch Registered Member

Have used NTRegOpt on it's own quite a number of times on XP Home and its one of my favourite programmes. It does the job with no frills. The only thing I make a point of doing is closing down all unnecessary programmes beforehand and then, when it asks me if I want to reboot, I do it immediately. (My understanding is that, if you don't, anything subsequently written to the registry will not be saved).

Also, it is the only free optimiser that I could find. There are other products classed as registry defragmenters/optimisers, for which you have to pay, but Diskeeper or PerfectDisk will defragment the registry files so all you need is an optimiser.

Have a look at Sysinternals PageDefrag. I've never used it as a boot time defrag tool but, by opening the programme, you can quickly tell whether or not the registry is fragmented. Its in the Performance Tools section at http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

Glad you brought this programme up.

3. BCH

Much thanks for the contribution......perhaps others will benefit....however, I don't use XP..an just posted the above product as a gesture of help to XP users........real decent freeware products are difficult to locate these days.......

Have been "re-doing" an old operating system.....an nearly completed......still looking around for products an came over erunt..thought someone may find it useful........

Have A pleasent evening

4. bch

bch Registered Member

TheSnowMan Guy.

Here is my "tried and tested" freeware contribution to your rejuvinated operating system. Cacheman 5.50. I don't use it as memory optimiser on XP but you can set it up to "hide to tray icon" at start up. The tray icon appears as a number, ie. the amount of free ram you have available. (I also used it to increase the icon cache so that now, when I open a folder full of icons, they appear instantly rather than having to watch them load up). http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=product&id=2

Good luck and best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.