ERS9x settings questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snapdragin, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

FanJ is the only one i know of at the moment that may be able to answer a few questions about this program, but if there is anyone else using it, i'd appreciate very much any input. :)

FanJ---as you probably know from my earlier posts, i quickly installed the ERS9x program for backing up my Win98se computer, and since it seemed stable at the time, i just used the default settings, hurried through the help on installation and backing up the system, and everything went great!

i made the boot floppy, wrote down what i am suppose to type in the command line if i ever need to boot to DOS; printed out all the necessary help information so i could have it quick to read, so i think i am as prepared as possible in case of a total crash-----hopefully that won't happen.

The only thing i was unsure of while i was going through the options was the question about making ERS9x the default back up program for my system...which meant disabling Window's backup utilities. i did say ok to that since i figured if this ERS9x program was going to back up my system properly and without any conflicts, i'd better let it BE the default back up utility.

i am REALLY hoping that was the right choice!

when my daughter turned on the computer tonight (i wasn't in the room) she said there was something that came up and started counting down. but when i got to the pc, it was already finished---------i believe that was probably it backing up...i hope.

i am reading through what i printed out, some parts make sense...some parts i am hoping will make sense in time, LOL....but any helpful advise or tips right now would be dearly appreciated! :D
    ----
    edited cause snap makes typos this late at night......

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snap,

As far as I know Paul W. has the program also on his system ;)

I'm glad installation was OK. :)
    Maybe if you have the time, it's a good idea to read the Helpfile again.

It's absolutely a good idea to make the boot floppy; and make a new one in case of a windows update.

You use Windows 98SE.
    Then most probably you will not need the boot floppy, but better safe than sorry!
    Why did I say that you probably don't need that boot floppy?
    Because the Helpfile says this:
    Unlike Win95/98, you must make an ERS bootdisk to boot to DOS in order to restore from ERS 9x backups in Win ME.

To Restore in Win95/98: Start your computer at the
    "Command prompt only". To do so:
    Start or restart computer, when you see "Starting Windows 95" or "Starting Windows 98",
    quickly press F8 (might have to press Ctrl instead in Win9:cool:,
    then select the "Command Prompt Only" from the menu.
    Don't select any other option, select the "Command Prompt Only"

Don't select "Command Prompt in Safemode".
    Note: You can use the ERS boot disk instead of the above, be sure to test the boot disk.

You must absolutely make sure that you have a printed copy of the Help-page called "Restoring".
    As the first line on that page says:
    Please print this page and save it in a safe place for a rainy day.

Oops oops, I must admit that I don't remember me that question when I installed it.
    My best guess at the moment is: you made the right choice.
    I'll try to ask Theodore Fattaleh, the creator of the program.

I guess you are right here.
    I start the making of the back-ups myself...
    I guess you made a better choice!
    The Helpfile says this:
    Auto Backup feature doesn't use any resources because it doesn't run in the background all the time, it is activated with Windows startups, but will not open unless backup is more than 22 hours (optional) old, a 50 seconds (optional) pause before commencing backup doesn't overload Windows startups and gives you a chance to cancel backup.
    You can change the default 22 hour setting and the 50 seconds pause by clicking on the "Stop timer" when auto backup pops up.
    Or click Options\Change 7Day or 3Day settings, to set preferences.

So: what your daughter saw was -I think- that pause before the auto-back-up started.

3. If you don't select ERS 9x to be the default backup and restore program, then Windows will overwrite any restore made by ERS 9x.
    Example: Windows went bad, you went and restored from ERS, but while booting Windows will restore from another backup overwriting ERS restore.
    The problem with Windows restore is it could restore from a backup that was made when Windows was corrupted.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Welcome Theodore!

Always nice to see the software author himself commenting and giving advice in regard to his own software!

regards,

paul

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Theodore,

Welcome from me too and thanks for coming here!

Your ERS9x has saved me more than once; I just love it!

For others who might be curious, here is the link again:

http://www.backtec.com/ers9x.htm

It is mentioned here:
    http://www.wilders.org/securing_your_pc.htm

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hello Theodore! Wow! This was Very nice of you to come! :D i am already impressed with ERS9x.....but to have the Author actually come and reply to a question just added to that!

i am glad FanJ reminded me of your program and after installing it, seeing how smooth it installed and runs, i must say i am definitely feeling more confident if my Win98se should happen to crash. i have not read the best reviews on Window's backup utility, and what you just posted made absolute sense.

please forgive my late response, i was at my daughter's Gr 8 Graduation and just got back.

the help files says to do a "test" of the backup, not really sure what that entails but i think i'll re-read a few times then try a backup test.

this looks AND feels like a fantastic program! Thank you VERY much for making it available to us!

(FanJ----give me a few days and i'll be back with a few more questions LOL------thank you so much for your help!)

7. Any time.
    Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.