Error while updating pgrm cant repl file

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mjuliff, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjuliff

mjuliff Registered Member

I'm getting the error message "Error occurred while updating program (cannot replace current file). I've noticed a few people have had this issue and it appears it may be related to a temp directory - can anyone confirm please? I'm running XP SP2 and recently did a disc optimisation through another program (ashampoo) which quite likely wiped out temporary files and folders. Are there settings within NOD32 that need changing or do I just reinstate the c:\windows\temp directory? Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Michael

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Which version of NOD32 do you run? Seems like the update file could not be overwritten because it is already being used by NOD....:doubt:

3. mjuliff

Thanks, I'm using the latest download for Windows XP (as I attempted to resolve the issue by unistalling and reinstalling etc).

4. mjuliff

I forgot to mention that the error occurs whilst trying to update the virus defintions - the error message is a little misleading insomuch as no program is being replaced, just the virus definitions.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What version are you using, 2.12.3 or the Beta?

Cheers :D

6. mjuliff

Where do I check the version number?

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

NOD32 Control Center -> NOD32 System Tools -> Information -> Right hand panel: information about installed components.

8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am running SP2 with NOD and haven't had the particular error you have but know that when I use a disc cleaner it picks up one of NOD's files each time and when I re-boot my error is something about cannot load xx therefore cannot scan e-mails or archives. Thankfully I keep the disc cleaner files in the bin until I make sure my programs are running and was able to restore the file.

The disc cleaner is meant to find old logs/temps etc but wiht NOD it takes a way a critical file therefore now I remove the tick from cleaning that one. I know it will not help with your error but I think it is similar to the fact it is seen as temp or old and therefore removed unless I let it stay where it is (which I now do!)

9. mjuliff

Well, it appears by reinstating the c:\windows\temp directory the problem is solved. Maybe this should be part of the installation procedure - if NOD32 requires this folder there should be some mention of it? Thanks everyone for your assistance.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

mjuliff,

Nice detective work! Strange that a cleaning utility would yank a standard Windows temp directory, as opposed to just the files contained in it. Is this something you can adjust within that program?

Blue

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You should always check your system and user TEMP/TMP variables first in case you encounter this error. The settings are found in System properties - Advanced - Environment variables. In certain cases there might be a problem with long paths. In this case, we recommend to try pointing both the user and system TEMP/TMP variables to c:\temp or c:\windows\temp instead of the deafult settings.

12. mjuliff

Thanks for that and although I'm back up and running I cannot find this menu structure anywhere! I've checked within the Control Centre (which I access from the sys tray) and also the NOD32 application from the Start > All Programs menu. If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Michael

13. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Do you mean "System properties - Advanced - Environment"? To get to "System properies", you can either right-click on My Computer and hit Properties, or you can go to Control Panel (in Classic View) and choose System.

14. mjuliff

Thanks Alglove, I thought it was a NOD32 variable that required changing - no wonder I couldn't find it! I'll get it right one day! Cheers again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.