Error when attempting to restore an image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jeffrey9999, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey9999

Jeffrey9999 Registered Member

Using TI v9.0 build 2337 on an HP Pavilion N5135 notebook. Restoring using Acronis Boot CD and external USB Toshiba DVD drive. DVD drive is recognized and TIB files is found, however, TI gives the error message, "This is not the last created volumne of the backup archive. Please insert the last created volumne to start working with this archive."

Is there a file I am missing from the backup? I am unable to perfom another backup, the data has changed too much. The harddisk doesn't have enough room for a local backup.

I only needed one DVD to make the backup, about 3 GB.

What is the default naming convention for a single file backup?

Is it possible to rename the file after the backup has been made without causing any problem with a restore?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Is your backup on more than one DVD? If so, you must insert the last disk first and then follow the wizard instructions.

3. Jeffrey9999

I only needed one DVD to make the backup, about 3 GB.

4. Jeffrey9999

What is the default naming convention for a single file backup?

Is it possible to rename the file after the backup has been made without causing any problem with a restore?

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

There is no special naming convention. Since your backup fit on a single DVD, any file name is fine.

You can't change the name of a file on a DVD, but that's OK, the name is fine.

My guess is that if you have to remove the TrueImage Recovery CD after booting and insert the data DVD, TrueImage doesn't realize that you have changed disks.

Boot from the TI Recovery CD and wait until it asks for the data disk. Insert the data DVD at that point and then select the backup file.

It is also possible that there is a problem reading from the external DVD drive even though TrueImage appears able to see the backup file. If that's the case, the only solution is to copy the archive file to a hard drive (external USB drive or a network drive or a second partition on the internal notebook hard drive) and restore from there.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jeffrey9999,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took to create and restore this backup.

Please note that if you creating a full image archive, you can type the file name in the File Name line, or use the file name generator (a button to the right of the line). If you select an existing archive, it will be overwritten.
    If you are creating an incremental/differential backup, select the latest full or incremental backup you have. The name for the incremental/differential backup based on full backup name. Additional information can be found in the Chapter 4. "Creating backup archives" in Acronis True Image User Guide.

Yes, you can rename the full backup archive, if you want. However, if the full backup is spitted into several files then after renaming you will not be able to restore it. Also if there are incremental/differential backups that depends on this full backup you will not be able to restore them either.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. mikej101

mikej101 Registered Member

Hi All,
    I'm new to this Acronis backup image game but reading all these posts has given me the shakes. Should I have stuck to my Norton Ghost? I'm just about to have a go at the DVD backup method - I hope I haven't got to go out and buy Nero - I use Roxio 8(just paid good money for the latest version) so I hope that will do the job. (If I can pluck up the courage to have a go).

8. Jeffrey9999

Using TI v9.0 build 2337 on an HP Pavilion N5135 notebook. Restoring using Acronis Boot CD and external USB Toshiba DVD drive. DVD drive is recognized and TIB files is found, however, TI gives the error message, "This is not the last created volumne of the backup archive. Please insert the last created volumne to start working with this archive."

I am unable to perfom another backup, the data has changed too much. The harddisk doesn't have enough room for a local backup.I only needed one DVD to make the backup, about 3 GB. Could this be because I did not make the DVD backup in UDF format?

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi mikej101,

In order to build up confidence in TI, I would suggest you start by creating a disk image split into 1492 MB files, storing them on a HD first and then copying them to DVDs. (3 files per DVD).

Then you will find in the FAQs how to create images direct onto DVDs with the help of Drag-to-Disk.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Probably, and perhaps more than that.

Have a look at the FAQs on how to backup to DVD directly.

11. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Jeffrey, if at all possible, do your backups to an external hard drive. Choosing to put it on DVD media is a difficult method. IMHO, Acronis TI is not "ready for prime time" when it comes to backing up to dvd media especially if you try to burn the image directly by using packet writing. Besides, you will soon outgrow the file size that fits on one dvd disc.

If you do use an external hard drive and still want the extra security of dvd media, you can then burn the backup files from the hard drive to the dvd discs using whatever burning software you like.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

More advice and couple of links on burning TI images to DVD provided in this <previous reply>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.