Error: usb.c error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-110)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MagicTyger, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicTyger

MagicTyger Registered Member

I am running TI 9 build 2277 and get this error when I try to boot from the recovery CD that it creates (requesting all USB drivers)

usb.c error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-110)

It just continually repeats this error on a black screen till you turn the computer off.

If I try to boot up using the option to not load all the USB drivers, it loads, but I can't see my DVD drive, so I can't do a restore.

How do I work around this problem?

2. MagicTyger

I retried this using build 2289 and got the same problem. I when booting in "Full Mode" with all the USB drivers I get the usb.c error.

When booting in "Safe Mode" all I can see is the C: drive and can't restore from DVD.

I'm having second thoughts about entrusting my precious data to this program.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm only guessing here, but that error sounds like a problem with the HID Class Descriptor.

Error 0 might be the descriptor size in bytes is being reported incorrectly and the 110 might the version# of the software in this case 1.10.

In Windows System Manager\hardware_devices , it might be worth checking how your drive looks make sure it appears and disappears as you plug/unplug the drive and check that there is an Acronis devices icon (looks like a network card) appearing in device manager.

Colin

4. MagicTyger

Sorry - this doesn't mean a thing to me. Is my "HID Class Descriptor" broken? Do I need a new one?

In Device Manager I have [Acronis Devices] and under that [Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer]. But I can't unplug and plug in my DVD drive. Its part of my machine. I just want to be able to get at my backups.

Are you asking me to do this to help debug the problem, or is this what I have to do to restore data from my backup?

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Sorry, from the error message I assumed (wrongly) that you had an external USB DVD drive.

With this new information, I'd now suspect that TI is for some reason thinking your DVD drive is attached to a USB port - asks Windows to locate the driver or inf file for your drive, finds a generic windows HID class driver and then finds it is reporting wrong info at which point TI sulks, with the error message!

In Device Manager, is your DVD internally connected to a USB port (never seen one but ----) or is it shown as a normal CD/DVD drive?

Colin

Just had a thought - in your BIOS does the DVD drive show up under the drives entry and is it/ can it be the first device in the boot order.
    Also try enabling or disabling legacy P&P support if there is that option.

6. Bill Wholemon

Bill Wholemon Registered Member

I've received the "Error: usb.c error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-110)" when trying to run the TI9 (build 2337) boot disk in full mode on my Dell E310. I tried "quiet acpi=off noapic" but this didn't help. I disconnected my USB printer, and USB scanner, as someone else suggested on another thread, and problem solved!

Bill Wholemon
    Life is what happens when you'd made other plans.

7. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Yes, for some reason, multiple usb devices and also wireless keyboard/mouse tend to make TI hiccup. Don't know why .. but there are several messages to this effect. So Magic if your system falls into this category, you may want to start disconnecting usb devices, especially hubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.