Hi All - I disabled eset NOD32 a/v and outpost firewall and deactivated onguard protection in pctools spyware doctor. I then tried to split the primary active partition (XP Home SP2) moving some files and rebooted on request. The software appeared to run to very nearly 100% progress but when I came back there was a message in the same progress screen saying application error (it did not say what type). I switched the machine off and back on since it appeared to be hanging on this screen (log says terminated by user?). On rebooting the new partition with the files moved into it did not appear in explorer. On running Disk Director the new partition was shown without any drive letter but have been able to assign letter with DD - this made partition visible in Explorer. Properties/errors takes a long time to "calculate" but indicated a corrupt file system for the new partition on at least one occasion and errors are showing up in Chkdsk. The only thing I can now think I did wrong was that the original allocated letter for the new partition (though I don't remember it asking me to choose) was the same as a network mapping. Unfortunately I also seem to have unwittingly reversed the intended sizes for the old and new partitions 50/200 instead of 200/50 (don't know whether was misleading or just my mistake)! Have submitted reports to Acronis #500031/#500088 - now wondering whether to risk "fixing" errors, deleting problem partition or attempt to recreate, or resize original back to what it was. Will (hopefully!) post resolution here for information soon.