Error removing USB devices after cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by madmike73, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio Registered Member

Reapair install did not help me with a similar problem. The "safely remove hardware" error went away, but the crashing on self executing zipfiles remains,plus all my data is gone.

2. chaosdivine

chaosdivine Registered Member

I too recently experienced this problem upgrading from version 10 to version 11 of TrueImage. However, for me, it occurred only after I installed the Secure Zone area on my hard drive. Previously I did not have this installed. Then the Hot Plug error started when right clicking on the Safely Remove Icon down by the clock in Windows XP.

I figured I would try and delete the Secure Zone using the tools that are in version 11 of TrueImage. Deleting the Secure Zone did fix my problem (along with deleting the Image I had stored in it but so what...). Anyhow I am not sure this will fix any one else's problem, but it did work for me. I am no longer having the Hot Plug issue, things are back to normal for me. I will now write my images to another computer and burn them to DVD. I usually do my images this way anyhow (through a network to another computer). I have had issues in the past when reading directly from a DVD or from CD. I found for me personally, that restoring them from another computer's hard drive works without issue...but that's another post.

Anyhow, I only signed up on here to post this note about the Hot Plug issue. I don't know if this is a work around or not so try it at your own risk...

Thanks...

3. pipelineaudio

How do I know if I've installed securezone or not?

Did this never happen when you were using TI10?

4. chaosdivine

chaosdivine Registered Member

No I did not have any problems what so ever using TI 10, only when I upgraded to version 11 did this show up...I found out the hard way unfortunately. My restore image was originally created using version 10 however. I managed to get my laptop into some trouble and needed to restore. The latest image I had was July 2007 (don't laugh, I know I deserve my problems waiting this long to restore).

I had another computer which had version 10 on it and upgraded it to version 11 and proceeded to create a version 11 boot CD. Which I used on my problematic laptop. The version 11 boot CD allowed me to restore the version 10 image on the laptop. It also allowed me to install the Secure Zone too by partitioning the hard drive accordingly and resizing the remaining space on the main partition. Once the restore was completed from using the version 11 boot CD, I was able to boot to Windows XP Pro no problem. I thought everything was fine until I plugged in a few USB keys and then tried to remove them safely using the icon. That's when I got the Hot Plug error.

I have no idea if this error occurs when the Secure Zone was not installed previously or not or even if it occurs when there is no Secure Zone created at all. I know in my case, by uninstalling the Secure Zone on my machine, it fixed my issue. No XP reinstall or repair needed...

You can tell if you have the Secure Zone installed by using a TI Boot CD or some other partitioning software. In version 11 off the boot CD, there is a Manage Secure Zone button. It launches a wizard, you can either install the Secure Zone or remove it using the same wizard. That's how I uninstalled the Secure Zone. If there is another way to do this, I am not sure and will let others add their feedback as they probably know the product better than I do.

I hope this helps clarify things.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The prob can show up even if you never created a secure zone. I never have in any version of ATI except on a test machine just to see how it behaved.

To create a secure zone you have to go through the steps to create one from within ATI. I doubt that one could ever do it accidentally. So if you didn't try to create a SZ, then you didn't. But that is neither here nor there re having the usb-remove hardware problem.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would like to mention that our Development team is curently investigating this problem, though we weren't able to reproduce it yet. I will inform you of our progress as soon as possible.

If possible, could you please also clarify if the problem appears when using the new build of Acronis True Image 11 Home as well? You can download it here. To get access to updates you should first register your software.
    We appreciate your collaboration on this matter.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  7. pipelineaudio

Its happening with the newest Nov 7 build.

If its any help, my drive has a winxp, win vista and linux ext3 partition. I am restoring from a USB drive

8. jhmis

jhmis Registered Member

Just a note for clarification. I'm having this same hotplug.dll error, but don't have True Image installed. Last night I cloned my old 80-GB Western Digital IDE hard drive to a 500-GB Maxtor SATA hard drive using BootIt NG, running it outside of Windows from a bootable CD. The C:\ and D:\ partitions were located on the 80-gig WD drive, and they're now duped onto the 500-gig Maxtor drive. I cloned C:\ and D:\ from the WD to the Maxtor, resized them to fit the Maxtor's larger capacity, set the C:\ partition on the Maxtor as active, shut down the computer, removed the IDE WD drive, set the Maxtor to be the first boot HDD in the BIOS (there's a 2nd HDD installed too, for more storage/swap file/etc.), and powered the computer back up. So far so good, but ever since then I've experienced the right-click error when attempting to remove a USB flash drive. The error appears immediately upon right-clicking the tray icon then clicking on the "Safely Remove Hardware" item that pops up. The work-around given in this thread of left-clicking on the tray icon has proven to be a satisfactory solution (why did I not know that before...thanks to the poster), though it would be nice to be able to fix the right-click problem without having to do a repair reinstall! Too much work for that small an annoyance, methinks. Maybe later on a slow day if I can't find an easier fix.

Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in so that people can be aware that this problem isn't only an Acronis issue.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  9. port50side

port50side Registered Member

For the information of Acronis Support the fault developed immediately after I installed ATI 11 and the only way I solved the issue was through doing a repair install. For me the error meant that I could not safely remove my HDD unless I turned the whole system off which was not always convenient.

An earlier post mentioned that I may redevelop the problem once I reinstall some data / images. That would not be good and would almost defeat the whole idea of having imaging software on the system.

I googled this matter pretty hard and although I acknowledge the views of others that this issue is not limited to Acronis I was having a lot of trouble getting many references to it except when associated with Acronis.

I would really urge Acronis Support to pursue this matter - Believe me it is not something of ones imagination.

Regards

10. marky22

marky22 Registered Member

i fixed the problem on my machine by going to device manager, show hidden devices & uninstalling all volumes
    listed. after 2 restarts the problem went away

BTW i cloned a hard drive with seagate discwizard

11. marky22

i used devices by type & uninstalled all volumes listed under storage volume

12. pipelineaudio

Whether a similar problem happens in other cases, this porblem still happens when using at11, so in that case it needs to be fixed there. Possibly the cause of it in other circumstances might shed some light on why it happens here though.

There is a far worse bug to me though, and thats that the first time , not only did it not allow safely remove devices, but it kept self executing exe's from running

13. jhmis

jhmis Registered Member

Thanks Marky. I deleted the question post, having figured that out, then saw that you'd answered in the meantime!

14. marky22

i used discwizard & uninstalled it after i installed the new drive i think if i installed discwizrd again it would happen again

15. pipelineaudio

Interesting! There was a messed up looking storage volume name with some weird characters. When I deleted it the problem went away

When it reinstalled though it came back

16. marky22

i had some strange devices also. do you have a card reader or any other external storage volume attached?

17. controler

controler Guest

I posted about this problem in new new build post but now see there was thread created way back in May on this issue.
    I just wrote zeros to my 160 gig seagate drive, then reinstalled windows with all updates. I then installed ATI 11 home 8053.
    Did not have the problen untill I created secure zone with default settings.
    I have not even created a backup in the secure zone.
    And so yes this is an ATI issue at this point.
    I do have a supposrt ticket and have sent the sys info ect along with my minidumps.
    When i run windbg on the dump before reinstalling windows it was pointing to
    snapman. I was doing a disk clean up when it would crash. I am not seeing that cras as of now, only the exception.
    that info is stored in your user dump file. Here is what windbg shows on the dump.

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\controler\Desktop\user.dmp]
    User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Comment: 'Dr. Watson generated MiniDump'
    Symbol search path is: set _NT_SYMBOL_PATH=srv*c:\websynbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Executable search path is:
    Windows XP Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
    Debug session time: Thu Nov 22 09:08:12.000 2007 (GMT-6)
    System Uptime: not available
    Process Uptime: 0 days 0:01:56.000
    This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
    The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
    (db8.dbc): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
    eax=00000000 ebx=7e418816 ecx=7ffdf000 edx=00520650 esi=00090200 edi=7e42379a
    eip=000010e1 esp=0007f410 ebp=00000113 iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na pe nc
    cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00000206
    000010e1 ?? o_O
    0:000> !analyze -v
    *******************************************************************************
    * Exception Analysis *
    *******************************************************************************

*** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***
    *** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***
    *** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***
    *** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***
    *** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***
    *** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***
    *** work. ***
    *** Type referenced: kernel32!pNlsUserInfo ***

FAULTING_IP:
    +10e1
    000010e1 ?? o_O

EXCEPTION_RECORD: ffffffff -- (.exr 0xffffffffffffffff)
    ExceptionAddress: 000010e1
    ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
    ExceptionFlags: 00000000
    NumberParameters: 2
    Parameter[0]: 00000000
    Parameter[1]: 000010e1
    Attempt to read from address 000010e1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: BAD_INSTRUCTION_PTR

PROCESS_NAME: rundll32.exe

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

READ_ADDRESS: 000010e1

FAILED_INSTRUCTION_ADDRESS:
    +10e1
    000010e1 ?? o_O

IP_ON_HEAP: 000010e1

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to 000010e1

SYMBOL_ON_RAW_STACK: 1

STACK_ADDR_RAW_STACK_SYMBOL: 7f680

STACK_COMMAND: dds 0007F680-0x20 ; kb

STACK_TEXT:
    0007f660 0007f64c
    0007f664 006f0068
    0007f668 0007f820
    0007f66c 7e440457 user32!_except_handler3
    0007f670 7e41e850 user32!`string'+0xa0
    0007f674 ffffffff
    0007f678 7e41e849 user32!GetWindowInfo+0x106
    0007f67c 5ad7823f uxtheme!CThemeWnd::InitLameResources+0x56
    0007f680 000d0132
    0007f684 0007f690
    0007f688 00034770
    0007f68c 5ad78258 uxtheme!CThemeWnd::InitLameResources+0x133
    0007f690 0000003c
    0007f694 0000006e
    0007f698 00000091
    0007f69c 7e41bc7d user32!GetWindow
    0007f6a0 00000000
    0007f6a4 00000001
    0007f6a8 0007f6b8
    0007f6ac 7e41bc9b user32!GetWindow+0x1a
    0007f6b0 00548ac8
    0007f6b4 00000005
    0007f6b8 0007f734
    0007f6bc 5ad78341 uxtheme!_FindMDIClient+0x49
    0007f6c0 00000132
    0007f6c4 00000000
    0007f6c8 00000000
    0007f6cc 5ad78390 uxtheme!_FindMDIClient+0x59
    0007f6d0 0007f4c8
    0007f6d4 0007f820
    0007f6d8 7c90ee18 ntdll!_except_handler3
    0007f6dc 7c911b10 ntdll!RtlpRunTable+0x468

FAULTING_THREAD: 00000dbc

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: BAD_INSTRUCTION_PTR

BUGCHECK_STR: APPLICATION_FAULT_BAD_INSTRUCTION_PTR_CODE_RUNNING_ON_STACK

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    uxtheme!CThemeWnd::InitLameResources+56
    5ad7823f 85c0 test eax,eax

SYMBOL_NAME: uxtheme!CThemeWnd::InitLameResources+56

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: uxtheme

IMAGE_NAME: uxtheme.dll

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 411096bb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: uxtheme.dll!CThemeWnd::InitLameResources_c0000005_BAD_INSTRUCTION_PTR

BUCKET_ID: APPLICATION_FAULT_BAD_INSTRUCTION_PTR_CODE_RUNNING_ON_STACK_BAD_IP_uxtheme!CThemeWnd::InitLameResources+56

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

18. jhmis

jhmis Registered Member

You know what, after looking at this some more, I might have spoken too soon about this being not merely an Acronis issue. I did use Maxtor MaxBlast about a week ago to clone my 2nd hard disk, which has E:, F:, and G: partitions. MaxBlast uses Acronis technology. The old 2nd disk was a 40-gig Seagate Barracuda IDE drive; cloned it over to a 500-gig Maxtor SATA. But it was only after cloning my primary drive that has the C: and D: partitions, using BootIt NG, that I noticed the right-click 'Safely Remove Hardware' problem.

I got curious and went into Device Manager a while ago to look at the driver details for all of my 5 volumes. There were three drivers listed for each volume, two of them from Acronis: snapman.sys and timntr.sys. One driver from Microsoft, VolSnap.sys. Then I uninstalled Maxtor MaxBlast and rebooted. The 'Safely Remove Hardware' right-click problem was still there. So then I did as Marky suggested; uninstalled volumes under Hardware Manager > Storage Volumes. Only two of them would actually uninstall, but after a couple of reboots, the right-click 'Safely Remove Hardware' problem is gone, and the two Acronis-based volume drivers no longer show up under Driver Details. Hmmm. I wonder if the right-click 'Safely Remove Hardware' problem would return if I reinstalled MaxBlast. Don't know if I really want to find out....

(By the way, these new SATA drives scream. Way faster than the old IDEs. Hotter too, though; I've had to install HD cooler fans on each one.)

19. controler

controler Guest

Ok this worked for me

Can anyone else verify?

Go to Device manager
    click view hidden devices
    Click to open storage volumes
    On my computer I have two generic volumes
    I right clicked the top one and clicked update driver with useing the internet
    it said a new driver was installed and to reboot.
    Problem dissapeared.
    I also clicked on second generic volume and update driver and it said it finished installing that one too but didn't have to reboot.
    i didn't get this update to show up when going to windows update site. Said all things including hardware were up to date.

20. jhmis

jhmis Registered Member

I did the same thing you did, except that I uninstalled the volumes (or attempted to....some wouldn't uninstall) instead of updating the drivers. Then after rebooting (twice) the volumes are picked up again, but the two Acronis volume drivers I saw earlier are gone. Anyway, it worked; no more problem with right-clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' tray icon.

21. controler

controler Guest

We will have to see what support has to say about this.
    If removing them will mess with ahy ATI features or not?
    As you can see there are three ATI files and one microsoft file attached to that driver Volsnap.sys

Attached Files:

22. controler

controler Guest

Even though the snapshot shows the files are not ditialy signed, they are.
    If you look at the driver properties in the drivers dir, you do see sigs but the only one wihout an outdated sig is tdrpman.sys that cert is goo till next year.
    You can click to install the certs but they still never show installed.

23. controler

controler Guest

the only file that was modified today after I did the update in device manager
    was the Microsoft file volsnap.sys
    I installed windows yeaterday and likie i said neither the autoupdate or going to Windows update told me i need to update volsnap.sys

Attached Files:

24. controler

controler Guest

Modify date

Attached Files:

25. controler

controler Guest

Even though this problem is cleared up, I still have the problem when i stick the USB stick in, the reboot right away with stick left in and do a system cleanup with default settings. My computer will crash every time. Anybody else see this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.