Error Reading MBR Sector

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Zom17, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Long story short I believe I have a deep infection somewhere but at this moment I am dumfounded. Then again perhaps I am not infected which brings me here.

Specs: Windows XP Pro w/SP3 and is updated; router, NOD32 ver 2.7, Superantispyware (SAS) Pro, snd Online Armor Pro. I am very careful while surfing. I don't use P2P file sharing at all.

When I go to scan with NOD32 I receive this information "Error occured while scanning MBR sector of 1. physical disk Error Reading sector." It repeats the same thing except the 1 is subsituted with a 2.

I then receive this message "User doesn't have administrator priviledges. Anti-stealth technology working in limited mode."

Let me add that I am also receiving the same "Doesn't have administrator priviledges" for SAS (I am totally blocked from scanning), Malwarebytes (can't update), and even the Seagate Seatools for Windows is saying I lack administrator priviledges.

Direction/advice/ideas will be most apptreciated.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Such messages ("Error occured while scanning MBR sector of 1. physical disk Error Reading sector." and "User doesn't have administrator priviledges. Anti-stealth technology working in limited mode.")
    could occur if you really don't have administrative rights and NOD32's on-demand scanner in v2 cannot simply scan some sectors . This is common for Windows Vista with limited user account and/or UAC enabled , or limited user account in Windows XP.

I would suggest you download and run ComboFix .Note- before running it , rename the executable file ComboFix.exe to something with random name (such as de.exe) . You might also need to be checked for rootkit or other malware .

3. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. First, I am running XP Pro w/SP3. Second I have always had full administrative rights (as this is my PC) until recently.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Could you run ComboFix (renamed) ?

5. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I have never downloaded or run ComboFix before. Please excuse my ignorance but once I download and install it where should I look for the .exe in order to rename it?

6. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is just a single file and it doesn't require installation . Simply download the file , save it whereever you find appropriate (on your Desktop , for example) and rename the file . Then , run it.

Post back so that we see what happened / if anything changed

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would suggest you have someone that is trained in malware detection to look at your computer if you think you have malware.

The post by fixer is the best advice.

9. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I downloaded Spybot S&D and it discovered a registry change that was designed to disable antivirus and other security software. Spybot cleaned it up and SAS now updates and runs as before. I can update and scan with NOD32 but I still don't have full administrator rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.