Error reading image file in DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by massaroco, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. massaroco

massaroco Registered Member

Hi. I bought a laptop and installed True Image 8 on it. Created a bootable CD and tested it, it's ok. I created an image of the disk and recorded it on a partition, then crated a copy of the image on DVD. Now:
    When I start from the bootable CD, it starts, then I insert the DVD with the image, and when trying topen it I get a message saying that is not the last file of the image created, and asks me to insert the last file (but there's only one!).
    The image is ok, because when I load that image (including the one on the DVD) from the Acronis hat is running on the system, it accepts it.
    I think it could have something to do with starting Acronis from the bootable CD, then changing to the DVD that has the image. Can anyone help me?
    If that is true, may be there is a way of getting round the problem.I even thought maybe there's a way of recoding a bootable DVD containing Acronis startup program AND the image, so that I don't have to change disks. But I don't know if it can be done, or how.
    Thanks for anybody's help

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

3. mcumeda

mcumeda Registered Member

I have the same problem but mine is with a simply CD-R.

When I first started the whole process, I thought I was going to use DVD-R and inserted one when True Image started to do its thing but then I discovered that I had to DL additional software and just decided to go with a CD-R instead.

Am I going to have to do the whole process over or can I just burn volume 1 again? Or is there another way of solving the problem

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I'm assuming you were attempting to image "direct" to DVD-R, which I'm afraid isn't possible as the DVDs need to be preformatted via 3rd party UDF packet writing software e.g. Ahead/Nero InCD or Roxio Drag-to-Disk. You would therefore need to use DVD+/-RW disks, although the Roxio packet writer can also pseudo format DVD+R disks (it can't, in fact, format write-once DVD+R disks but actually initialises them as a multi-session DVDs, which then needs to be made "Compatible", i.e. finalised, after they have been recorded).

Imaging and restoring to/from CDs is painfully slow, error prone and requires a lot of disk changes. If you have a DVD recorder then surely you must have some sort of DVD burning software? In which case why not use the "two-step" method and burn the split image as standard DVD-ROM (ISO) or DVD-ROM (UDF) data disks? Check out this <earlier reply> for full details.

Regards

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello massaroco,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

After installing the update please create new image saving it to your hard drive then burn this image to DVD, boot your computer from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and see if the problem still persists.

Please also note that when writing images to DVDs there are two important things you should be aware of:

- If you burn images to DVDs creating simple ISO compilations then you should select the option to finalize discs;

- If you burn images to the UDF formatted DVDs then you should not use UDF versions higher than 2.01 as they are not yet supported in Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when using Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

Otherwise, images may not be recognized correctly in Acronis Rescue Environment.

If none of the above helps then please provide us with the following information:

- Can you confirm that the image saved to DVD can be normally recognized when the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 is running from under Windows?

- Try to verify this particular image archive integrity by means of the embedded Check Image tool both when the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0. Inform us about the result;

- Copy this particular image archive from DVD back to the hard drive and try to restore it once more. Let us know the result;

- Let us know the exact vendor and model of your DVD burner;

- What type of DVD did you use (+-R\RW, vendor)?

- Describe the way you wrote image to DVD in detail;

- What third-party DVD writing software did you use?

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt file) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please note that since you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (version 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have a selection screen).

Please also download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, create new Bootable Rescue CD, create new image, burn this image to DVD, boot your PC from the beforehand created Bootable Rescue CD and see if the problem still persists. Let us know the result.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mcumeda,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please note that in order to verify\restore the image archive spanned over several CDs\DVDs you should insert the last created CD\DVD first (disc that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions.

If that's not the case then please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem:

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Does the problem appear both when Acronis True Image is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD?

- Try to verify the image integrity by means of the embedded Check Image\Check Archive\Validate Backup Archive (version 8.0\version 9.0\version 9.1 or 9.0 Home) both when Acronis True Image is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD. Inform us about the result;

- Copy all files from all CDs to one separate folder on your hard drive and try to restore\verify the image once more. Let us know the result;

- Describe the way you wrote image to CDs in detail;

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational messages? What exact messages? When exactly do you receive them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.