error message during install of Spywareblaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ajcamma, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcamma

ajcamma Registered Member

Tried to install Spywareblaster. I keep getting a message that the installer can't open an HKEY and more specifically a .dll file: i.e.,MSSTDFMT.dll. I had just installed Sput this one inot one of them.ybot and wonder if it removed the file that I need. The Spywareblaster home page has several potential error messages, b :oops:

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi ajcamma,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

What version of Windows are you running?

Regards,

Pieter

3. ajcamma

I'm running Windows XP Pro.
    (Sorry about the initial garbled message. My Laptop has started skiipping to different parts of the message I'm typing and I don't always catch it. Nor do I know why it's doing it! At any rate, I had just installed Spybot and was trying to install Spywareblaster when the error message occurred.)

4. ajcamma

windows XP Pro

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi ajcamma,

That is strange.

Please download and run: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/downloads/tools/missingfilesetup.exe

If that does not help do a Find/Files for MSSTDFMT.dll and let us know what version you have, please.
    To find out rigchtclick the file and choose properties.

Regards,

Pieter

6. ajcamma

I downloaded missingfilesetup.exe but it would not load on my computer. Instead I got the following error message: error opening registry key: HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

I found MSSTDFMT.dll on my computer. It is version 6.0.84.5

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Ahah - you wouldn't happen to be trying to install SpywareBlaster on a limited account (or any non-administrator account) would you?

That would certainly explain the permission error you seem to be getting when the installer tries to access the registry.

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. ajcamma

Well, I believe I was logged on as administrator when I tried to load it, but I'll go back and try again. I'll also check the MSSTDFMT.dll version when logged on as administrator.

9. ajcamma

Well I apologize. I went back on as administrator and spywareblaster loaded just fine. However, evidentally Spybot is different because I had to reload it as administrator and apparantly have to run it iindividually for both administrator and as a personal user. But I'm still a little confused. if I run Spyblaster as the admoinistrator do I dtill have to run it as a personal user as well? And why doesn't running it as an administrator take care of my personal user profile as well?

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

You will only need to run SpywareBlaster as a personal user if you wish to have the IE spyware cookie blocking protection enabled for that personal user. The ActiveX spyware protection affects all user profiles. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.