error message: df error 2002:2, Failure to control the service

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by doveman, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doveman

doveman Registered Member

I've been using Returnil VS 2008 v2.0.1.9002 quite happily on XP.

I've recently had to move to a backup copy of XP on another partition (old one was getting bloated and having problems) and now I get the error "error message: df error 2002:2, Failure to control the service:The system cannot find the specified file." when I try and activate Returnil.

I checked the eventlog and found this in there:
    "The description for Event ID ( 1838 ) in Source ( RVSystem ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:"

I downloaded v2.1.5.3083 but I notice that no longer offers the option of memory caching, just disk caching which I don't want, so I'd be grateful if someone could help me get the older version working again.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello doveman and welcome to the forums :)

If you have the old 2.0 installer, all you need to do is uninstall/reinstall to clear the error. As for the Labs version, the memory caching is there, but it is not available as an option as it is integrated, similar to the way 2010 works except that the disk cache size itself must be pre-set.

IOW - if the disk cache in the 2.1 version becomes corrupt or damaged, RVS would default to memory caching automatically to maintain the virtualization.

The reason this was done was to minimize complexity while testing the multi-partition feature in that version.

Mike

3. doveman

Hi Mike

Thanks for the advice. I'll try re-installing.

So if I understand you correctly, with v2.1 there's no way to disable the disk cache completely and just use memory caching, and this is the same with 2010? Not that it matters if I can get v2.0 working as I'm quite happy to continue using that, but it seems a shame that option isn't available in the newer versions.

4. Coldmoon

The feature of memory caching is still there, but is integrated in 2.1 and 2010. Labs is the intermediate between 2.0 and 3x where the dynamic caching was implemented, but with a static disk component to test the multi-partition virtualization which will be introduced in a later 3x build with the new engine upgrade.

It is just not selectable as an alternate caching method. As mentioned previously, Memory only caching takes hold if there is corruption to the disk component so that virtual protection is not lost should this occur for any reason.

Mike

5. doveman

OK, I'll stick with 2.0 then.

Unfortunately, I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times and I'm still getting the same error when trying to enable Returnil and seeing the same error in the eventlog.

6. Coldmoon

If you install 2.1, does this error continue?

Mike

7. doveman

No, but with 2.1, when I try to start System Protection, nothing happens at all.

8. Coldmoon

What are you running at the same time (other security, filters, blockers, etc)?

Mike

9. doveman

The only security software I've got running is Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5, which I've always used and was on my previous XP install that worked fine with Returnil.

I've tried disabling it to eliminate the possiblity that any of the rules were causing a problem.

10. Coldmoon

No, Kerio shouldn't be an issue as 2x versions don't need to connect to the outside as the registration is client based and there is no antimalware/malware behavioral analysis.

Did you try uninstalling from safe mode (works with 2x, but not 3x)? If not, give it a try and then install 2.1 in normal Windows.

11. doveman

I uninstalled from safe mode and then reinstalled 2.1.

It seemed to make a difference when installing as I don't recall it making the 2GB RETURNIL.RVS file before, but it still does nothing when I try and start System Protection.

I notice in Extend Partition Protection section, it only shows my X: (which is actually the first partition on my hard drive and contains my other XP boot). C: is the second partition and contains the current XP I'm using.

I also have logical partitions S: and D: but these aren't listed in Extend Partition Protection, which seems strange, which is why I mention it in case it's relevant.

12. Coldmoon

I have flagged this thread to the lead virtualization developer and will advise as soon as possible.

Mike

13. doveman

Thanks Mike.

I've also tried removing the drive letter from X: just in case that was confusing things. It no longer shows up in the Extend Partition Protection section (which is now empty), but it didn't help get Returnil working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.