"Error loading OS" when trying to boot a cloned disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JimGreen, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimGreen

JimGreen Guest

I am trying to transfer my OS and other disk contents from an 18 GB scsi disk to the first 116 GB partition of a new 240 GB sata drive. I used TrueImage to clone the disk to the sata drive partition, it rebooted and said it had completed, but when I disconnect the scsi drive and try to boot from the new sata drive I get a "Error loading OS" error message at the end of the last BIOS screen. In fact, I now get the same error message when I re-connect the original scsi drive and try to boot from it, but can re-boot from it by selecting it on the "boot menu" on my new Asus motherboard. What have I done wrong? TIA for your help.

2. JimGreen

JimGreen Guest

I also just tried the fdisk /mbr command from dos and now the error message is "OS missing". I can still boot into Win2000 by going to the boot device selection screen and selecting the original 18GB scsi disk. But the cloned drive won't boot this way. Any ideas would be appreciated. Something was not copied properly and apparently the boot sector was corrupted during the clone? Is any change in boot.ini required?

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Seems there are unusual problems with the Clone feature. Try this instead. Assuming your original Scsi is still working, boot with the rescue CD and make an image of it - store it on the unused part of the 240 sata AND copy it to the 18 gig scsi also.

Next remove the scsi, install the Sata, boot with the rescue CD and restore the image. If the rescue CD does not see the image on the 240 sata, reinstall the scsi and try restoring the image from it.

When you make the image of the 18 gig, be sure to put the check mark in the box next to the drive name - the uppermost box, not the partition box. In other words you want to select the entire drive.

4. JimGreen

JimGreen Guest

My 18GB scsi is too full to hold an image copy.

But I did make an image while the 18 GB scsi was booted in windows and tried to restore it to the sata, which now has two partitions, 1 and 2, each about 118 GB. I restored it from partition 2 to partition 1 (set primary and active) but when I shut down, disconnected the scsi and tried to boot from the sata drive, I still get the "Error loading operating system" message. I tried to fix this with booting from the Win2K CD using both the recovery console fixboot and fixmbr commands, which didn't fix it, then the emergency repair disk option. With emergency repair, I first selected to repair the two boot options, and when that didn't work, I tried all three. That also didn't work. I'm stumped.

Is there something special about making and restoring an image with the Acronis bootable CD?

5. como

como Registered Member

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe a image from a scsi disk will not include the drivers for a SATA drive and therfore you will need to add the drivers to enable the SATA to boot?

6. JimGreen

JimGreen Guest

Help me here. When I boot up on my scsi drive the I can "see" both current partitions on the big sata disk and the directories and files on that disk. So doesn't that mean the "drivers" for sata are loaded into the OS directory? When I try to boot from the sata drive, the BIOS recognizes the drive OK, it's on the boot selection list. What "drivers" do you mean are not included? Where do you "add" drivers?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JimGreen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please also do the following:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Boot your PC from Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc (created using build 2323) and perform the disk cloning process once more;

- Shut down your PC and disconnect the source (old) disk;

- Try to boot as usual;

- If it does not boot then please do the following (depending on the operating system you use):

- Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

- Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console;

- In case it still does not boot, perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please be aware that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware which SATA drive apparently is.

You can also find this article interesting.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.