Error Loading Operating System ....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sorrow, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorrow

Sorrow Guest

Hey guys hoping someone has some suggestions. I read through the forums, but couldnt find anyone with the same issue. Here it goes...

I had 2 internal sata drives connected to the mobo (Soltek K8AN2E). The primary harddrive is starting to have a lot of issues booting up (power wise) so I figured I'd loadup TrueImage 8, and clone the drive to the second disk, and just pitch the first one. First disk was 120gb, second drive 160. I ran the automatic clone wizard, everything went fine. System shut down, no errors, etc...

So I pulled the primary drive, move the secondary drive into the primary (First sata connection). Powered on, updated my bios to look for the new drive as the boot drive, rebooted again. Now Right after verifying dmi pool I get the error "Error Loading Operatin System" and the system just sits there.

I tried booting to the OS disk (Windows XP Pro), and running the recovery console. I did the fixmbr trick that everyone seems to mention. And still the same error. In the recovery console I can see the file structure. So I rebooted to the disk, ran a repair on the OS (which was detected fine), and still the same error on boot.

Any ideas? At this point I can no longer get the old primary drive to boot, so I'm getting ready to wipe, reload and try not to cry too badly over the lost data. I figured before I wiped though, I'd try here for any suggestions.

Thanks in advanced.

S.

2. gdanaher

gdanaher Registered Member

Just reinstall the xp operating system. Boot from the cd. The first question asks if you want to repair or install a new system. You do not want to repair--zelect the option to install the system. I think this is just an enter keystroke. The next window finds the existing system and then asks if youwant to repair the existing system or install a totally new one. At this point you want to hit the 'R' key to repair the existing system. It will install the system and retain the original registry entries.

3. Sorrow

Sorrow Guest

Well I tried that already, but I end up with the same error message. Something else has changed but I'll be damned if I can track it down. Thanks for the reply though.

S.

4. rrockingb

rrockingb Registered Member

First I think this would be best posted in General Software and Services forum here they also help hardware wise, better chance for help there.
    With that said I would go back in to bios and make sure that the setting sequence are set correctly for booting up.

Sorry can't offer anything else at this point.

5. Sorrow

Sorrow Guest

lol this is just freakin dandy. I booted from the xp cd, killed the partitions, recreated a new partition, formated it, and installed xp. After the file copy, the system reboots, and I end up with "Error loading operating system". So I'll be damned, I have no idea what TrueImage did to my drive, but now I can't even start fresh on it.

6. rrockingb

Sorry to hear this but if you wiped the hard drive clean and did a full format the problem you have is NOT caused by TI it is either a bios setup problem or a hardware problem with your drive or sata drivers.
    If you write zero's to your drive(I know it takes a long time) to restore it to factory condition when shipped then retry to load windows and get the same error you have either a problem with drive/drivers itself or you have a bios setup error as I stated before.
    Once you formatted the drive TI is no longer there and I can not believe it is causing your problem but writing zero's to it will insure that there is nothing on this drive, this will help you pin point your problem.

Again I am sorry for the problem you have and this is really all I can offer to help you.....

Good luck

7. Sorrow

Sorrow Guest

I'm going to try writing the zeros to it, but I'm pretty convinced it's not a bios/hardware issue. I bought this harddrive last night, and it functioned just fine until I cloned my original drive to it. Once I did that I started getting these errors. I'm still getting MBR errors too when I boot to a boot disk and fdisk /mbr, or run the recovery console and do the fixmbr. Seems whatever the cloning did to the mbr I cannot undo.

S.

8. rrockingb

Sorrow,

Would you post back and let me know what happens? I really would like to follow this if possible, if there is a problem caused by TI in this case Acronis should be made aware of it.

Reny

9. Sorrow

Sorrow Guest

Will do. I'll be working on it tonight.

S.

10. OldeFoxx

OldeFoxx Guest

Check your Boot.ini file on your C: drive. For Windows NT/9X/XP, the Boot.ini
    file is critical for identifying which partition you are booting to. If you have an
    improperly configured entry there, it can screw you up. If you reinstall Widows,
    copy the Boot.ini to a floppy or some other safe place, then do your reinstall
    from your backup, then copy the Boot.ini file back to the root directory on C:

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sorrow,

We are really sorry for the problem you encounter.

First of all, please be aware that when you format your hard drive there remains nothing of Acronis True Image. If this software had been the problem you should have been able to install the operational system after formatting the drive.

Can you boot from your original drive (with power wise)? If so you are likely to have problem with the new drive or with its compatibility with your motherboard/controller/BIOS. I can suggest that you contact your hardware vendor for the possible reason of the problem.

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

12. ATC

ATC Guest

Re: Verifying DMI Pool Data ....

I cloned from one working drive having linux working partitions. but when i tried to boot from new cloned drive getting error on boot " Verifying DMI Pool Data ...." and it sits there. Can some one help to resolve this issue ?

13. Malice19

Malice19 Registered Member

Enjoy I’m having the same dam problem...

Under thread
    "Need Clone Help Please from a Pro?" ;)
    If i find out will Give ya a Post :cool:

14. KarlosII

KarlosII Guest

Same bloody problem, all of a sudden a existing installation borked.

15. crazy_ken

crazy_ken Guest

I have exactly the same problem. PLEASE HELP!

16. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Could you please clarify whether the problem is absolutely the same? Also please check whether the old drive boots normally. When you clone the disk Acronis True Image clones MBR and data, MBR being corrected in case you transfer to a disk of another size or resize partitions during the restoration.

Please try to fix MBR either with the help of Windows installation disk or in the way proposed below:

Please insert a diskette into the floppy drive and run the file available by the link below:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.exe

Once the floppy is written, boot the computer from it and confirm that you want to fix the master boot record.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

17. pdpeck

pdpeck Guest

Mr

Having the same problem
    Tried to download suggested file to 1.44 floppy and failed: file too large.
    Can this be done on CD?

18. Acronis Support

Re: Mr

Hello pdpeck,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please do not copy the file mentioned above to a floppy disk. Just insert the diskette and launch the file from hard disk. If you want to use the CD please read the follwoing instructions:

Please use the following ISO image to create a special CD:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.iso

You can read how to record a CD with an ISO image at the following links:

http://trb.org/publications/burning_iso.html
    (Nero Burning ROM and Roxio Easy CD Creator)

http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
    (other applications)

Once the CD is written, boot the computer from it and confirm that you want to fix the master boot record.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

19. Muffin

Muffin Guest

I too have a similar problem but it is nothing to do with acronis as I have never used it. As mentioned in the original post I get same error message trying to install windows XP on a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 160GB sata 150 drive. My original drive - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 160GB sata 150 - works perfectly. I have installed XP on it twice and no problems at all. Using the Plus 10 as a secondary works fine as well, installed on my MSI mb as sata 1 and 2.

The problem arises when the Plus 9 is disconnected, the Plus 10 installed as primary sata 1 and bios changed accordingly. A clean install of Windows goes through its routine formatting and installing etc but when it comes to its first restart the same old annoying message appears - error loading operating system!

When reverted back to original setup everything is fine again. I suppose I should reinstall on the Plus 9 but I that does not work I will be the proverbial.

The drive must be working as XP files are there and it was and still is working as a secondary.

The question really is - all things being equal - why will Xp not install on a Plus 10 when it has done so far on a Plus 9o_O

20. demay911

demay911 Registered Member

Ive been having problems close to everyone..I had all the problems solved...yeah right.i was partitioning my drives.wd 120MG and a promise raid0
    2-36MG WD..I had winxp installed on the 120MG drive.
    then i made 3 partitions ,linux,unix..when i was parttitioning i think that i may have did something to the larger drive.(possible hindering win.)
    I was installing FEDORA CORE 3 linux....i can get into bios...then it talks about promise raid0...And stops short with the message [Error loading operating system..] i really would like (if I could)save my data :(

AMD 64 3200 CPU
    Asus 9800xt 256
    Win XP and linux os (I hope)
    1 gig of cursair
    Audigy 2 platinum
    and cd and dvd.

21. muffin

muffin Guest

Sorted at last!!!!!

Go to the link below and follow instructions. It worked for me with exception of hitting F6 to load sata drivers. Did not want to know my drivers but everything ran without using them I used sata 1 and 2 as I dont overclock.

After everthing was loaded and up and running I even managed to the set things in the bios back to oringinal non raid setup and everything works fine.

A very grateful thanks tp rsheppick for the post. I now have 2 160gb drives working and fully recognised.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=54484.0

22. cobain27

cobain27 Guest

Had the same problem with a maxtor 120GB 8MB ATA. Just put the disk into an another machine under slave, clear all partitions, and make a new one. I have fixed it this way!

23. cobain27

cobain27 Guest

Have to correct my last post!

Just delete all partitions (don't make any new!!!) on an another machine (start/settings/control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management) and shut down. Now put the hard drive back into your computer, power on, insert windowsXP CD and install it again. Use the unpartitioned space
    to instal win (the system will make just one partition by itself), that's all!
    This method has been proofed by me now on two different hard disks with the
    "Error loading....." problem,after deleting linux, and it is working!

24. DjEc

DjEc Guest

Whoever is having this problem needs to ensure that the booting operating system is on the same partition number as from where the image was taken.

you can find the info in the boot.ini file (which you need to get to by starting an installation, choosing to repair, and copying a correct boot.ini file into it)

Cheers,
    DjEc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.