Error loading operating system

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pretzelb, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pretzelb

pretzelb Registered Member

OK, I've read the threads on the topic but have yet to see a solution so let me add my experience to the list.

1) Want to go from Seagate 120 IDE to a Seagate 250 SATA
    2) Used Seagate tools to do format on new SATA 250
    3) Created True Image boot disk and launched True Image that way
    4) Did the clone from the old (120) to the new (250) - no errors
    5) Shut down to remove the boot CD
    6) Disconnected cables to the old drive
    7) Boot to bios and make sure new SATA is primary master
    :cool: Error message before loading of OS that says "Error loading operating system"
    9) Created a fix MBR disk from a post I found on this site
    10) Boot using fix MBR disk
    11) Hit enter to run it - not sure if it worked - it said "No commands for booting operating syste. Press <Enter> to reboot
    12) I assume it works and shut down to remove the CD
    13) Reboot and now I have the message "Invalid Operating System!"

I'm 100% sure the bios is ok because besides verifying it each time I've physically disconnected the drives I don't need at the right time. As near as I can tell there are no special drivers needed because Seagate says they're in the Microsoft drivers now. The 250 (new) drive worked fine normally as I used it for extra storage for months so I don't think it's physically bad or that XP has issues communicating with it.

As near as I can figure I've covered what others have done previously. If anyone has more suggestions I'd appreciate it.

2. pretzelb

pretzelb Registered Member

OK, for whom it may concern ...

I think this is caused by a messed up MBR. My new drive worked great until I tried to clone it. I finally found some generic posts for this error message and each time it seemed like an MBR problem. So I went and found some disk utilities for my hard drive (Seagate Tools) and created a boot CD. One option was to fix the MBR. After running this it appeared to work fine.

Two things that I think Acronis should follow up on:

1. Explain why the MBR isn't copied during a disk clone (or provide ability to fix it)
    2. Remove the link I found on the website to an MBR utility that flat out didn't work (can't find the link now)

I'm not sure why the software I got from Acronis seemed to be unable to do a fix MBR. It should be built into the software itself.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pretzelb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that this issue is most likely related to a different types of hard drive you use. Please take a look at this article about transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives.

Please also note that during the clone procedure the MBR is also copied.

Please nothe that the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the hard disk can be fixed using one of the following methods:

Windows 95/98/Me – boot from Startup Disk (floppy) and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

Windows 2000/XP/2003 – boot from Installation Disc (CD) into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

Please find more information about "fixmbr" command here.

We will also check the special utilities for fixing MBR (the one that are mentioned in the Acronis Help Post) and check it functionality.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. jj0071

jj0071 Registered Member

I love how Acronis Tech support blames everything but their own software for all of the issues that we(customers) experience. I.E. "Please note that this issue is most likely related to a different types of hard drive you use".
    I used two identical drives and received the same error/problem. Acronis, fix your software and stop assigning blame to everthing else.
    Disgruntled customer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.