Error from a full backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TerryFox, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Hi , I am using the latest version ATI 11 . I have a Vista Ultimate sp1 retail version . This is from a fresh clean install of Vista . When ever I try to restore my full back up image I get an boot up error saying that I didn't close windows correctly . Now this is the drive I place the image on and try to boot up with it . Vista boot screen ask what I like to do and I leave it on boot up normally which it will load . Afterwards everything else is good . Any idea as to when a next version update going to be available ? Thanks

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Vista keeps track of it state (running or shut down). If you create an image file while Vista is running and then restore that image then Vista will think it was improperly shut down and you will get that error the first time that you boot into the restored image. If you create the image file when Vista is shut down then you will not get that error.

A discussion of this issue is here (posts 2-4).

3. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Strange. I have imaged, from within Windows, the Vista Home Premium laptop I'm working on and restored it several times. I've never seen the improper shutdown warning.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

That's right; we had this discussion in another thread and determined that you were running TI 11 and I was running TI 10. The OP here is using TI 11 like you are. Is this another one of those differences between Home and Enterprise versions of Vista? (He has Vista Ultimate and you have Vista Home Premium).

Anyone else see this behavior with TI 11 or not?

5. TerryFox

Thanks for that info k0lo . Question if I use the rescure disk to make a full backup image, do I also need to use it when restoring to , Or can I restore with windows running and place it unto a different drive . Thanks

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Terry:

Theoretically it should not matter which way you restore but often there are problems restoring while Windows is running. Most of us recommend doing restores from the rescue CD when Windows is shut down. No matter which way you do it, never boot Windows with two identical drives attached or you may not like the outcome.

7. TerryFox

I have done it that way all the time with XP and I have never once had one problem from it even the cloning has always work , but if Vista is different then I will do as suggested . Thanks :thumb:

8. TerryFox

Just an update . I created a backup image with ATI Rescue disk . I just done the restore back up image using the resuce disk . This time when I booted up I didn't get any error . So it seem using the rescue disk works for me ...:thumb:

9. TerryFox

Hi, Another update .... I don't know whether 8101 corrected the problem but I am now able to use ATI program and make a restore backup image work without getting any errors . I just done that while running XP and restoring a Vista backup image onto another drive . Loaded the Vista drive without any errors. .

ATI IS THE BEST , THANKS

10. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Terry:

Was the Vista backup created from Vista while Vista was running? Which build was used to create the backup?

11. TerryFox

I created the backup image with Vista sp1 running . I made a backup of Vista sp1 onto a different drive . Then formatted the Vista sp1 drive with XP running . I ran XP to restore the Vista backup image onto the drive which I formated . I didn't get any error . In total I have 4 hard drives . One for Vista , One for XP , One for data and the last one for backup images and what not .

BTW with the latest version 8101

12. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Interesting. Thank you.

13. TerryFox

You're welcome . :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.