Error E00040001 during file backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Walli, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walli

Walli Registered Member

Hi,

I wanted to backup my files/folders, so I have setup a task to do this.
    But during backup I get the above mentioned Error.

I attached a screenshot.

So what can I do about this problem?

best,
    Walli

P.S True Image 10 Home on Win XPPro

Attached Files:

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think you'll find your file path is too long.

I didn't count it, but that looks pretty close to 256 characters. I think it'll use unicode which uses twice the amount space for file names.

Colin

3. Walli

Walli Registered Member

but why can I open and save the file with Photoshop and why can I drag and drop the entire folder to my USB drive?

If the file path is to long, shouldn´t then Windows tell me something about it?

best,
    Walli

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Walli,

I imagine it's something to do with a path length limitation in Linux.

When you boot into the Acronis rescue environment, say to restore your System disk/partition, you are actually using a subset of Linux. If Linux has a path length limitation then there is no point TI accepting a path length greater than 256 characters when its running under Windows. Hence reason for TI flagging up an error.

Regards

5. Walli

Walli Registered Member

..I moved all data into a folder C:\\Data, resulting in much shorter path names (less then 100).

But True Image still fails. This would mean that True Image is totally useless, because I can´t backup my data.
    I mean, I can´t belvieve that. For sure I am not the only person that has to use deeper folder structures.

So it would be nice if there would be an official statement somewhere on the website.
    I also contacted support more then a week ago and never have heard back from them. This is a little bit "scary" , if you consider, that this is a tool for security reasons.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Probably a dumb question but can you just confirm that, after moving the data into a folder C:\Data\, you deleted the previous backup task and created a new one?

If the answer to the above is "Yes" then perhaps this <previous thread> could be relevant to your situation.

Regards

7. Walli

Walli Registered Member

yes, it was a new task, the old ones I deleted. I am not using McAffee, but I have Panda InternetSecurity wghich also has a firewall.

I will see, if disabling the firewall helps. But this also would be bad, because then I couldn´t do automatic backups anymore, because i would have to turn of the firewall before.

Let´s see if it helps.

best,
    Walli

8. Walli

Walli Registered Member

I first disabled the firewall on both computers (spource pc and target pc). Error still occurs (just a different file)

Then I entirely turned off Panda Internet Security, so there was no security software and no firewall running (not even the built in WinXP firewall). Error still occurs, again a different file.

So this looks to me like a True Image problem and if it can´t be resolved, then ìll drop this tool..

best,
    Walli

9. martinoss

martinoss Registered Member

I've got the same problem as Walli.

I "use" Acronis True Image Home 10 (Build 4871).

Every backup fails, each time on a different file. The backups should go on a network-share of my Thecus N5200. I also tried to connect using FTP to N5200.

Under Windows XP Pro i get E00040001 "Datei konnte nicht gelesen werden...". So i tried to make a Backup under Windows Vista Ultimate (final) - here the process just hangs after a few hours of processing without throwing an error - don't understand me wrong: The process is responding, i can move the progress window, scroll up and down in the summary, but there is no more progress!

When I press the abort-button, True Image ask me if i want to abort. Then when I press "yes", True Image does not abort! I need to kill the process and reboot my machine to make another try!

Aborting generally NEVER works! Not under XP and not under Vista.

Can someone help me?

Regards

Martin

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Walli and martinoss,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it and see if the problem still persists.

If that does not help then please do the following to collect additional information that will help us to investigate this issue thoroughly and provide you with a possible workaround:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the problem;
    - Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post.

Collect the logs of failed operations:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. Hermann

Hermann Registered Member

Hello Walli,

did you solve the problem? I have got the same error message today,

Regards
    Hermann

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.