"Error communicating with kernel"??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by thechristophershow, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thechristophershow

thechristophershow Registered Member

Well, I think I really screwed up. I just downloaded what is effectively the beta version of Windows 8, which I found out AFTER the fact is not reversible. I went to go start ESET Antivirus 5, and right when I double-click the icon, I get this message:

Error communicating with kernel.

I don't know what a kernel is, and if I did, I still wouldn't know what the problem is. Anybody know what's going on? Would ESET not work on Windows 8 or something? I JUST renewed my ESET license for another year, so it's going to really suck if that's the case.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Well, seeing as that Windows 8 is still in beta, it would be normal to see problems. When the RTM comes out i'm sure there will be a version of the ESET software that's compatible but right now that's nothing you should expect (Or even use for daily use). Also, no offense intended, but if you don't know what a kernel is you should probably not play around with a beta operating system.

Still, it would be worth trying a full re-install to see if that works (Using the removal tool, see http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289. We have tried it in our testing environment here and it works.

3. thechristophershow

thechristophershow Registered Member

When I installed W8, I didn't know I would receive an error message for ESET telling me about kernels and stuff. I had no foreknowledge that anything having to do with kernels would happen, you know?

I'm trying someone else's suggestion in another thread first, then I'll try yours. Thanks for the reply.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I'm afraid Windows 8 does not qualify for use with ESET Products at this time, as noted, however, you may use this ESET Article to help you troubleshoot your issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.