Error Code LP5

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by dogbows, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbows

dogbows Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 released!

3.5.1 appeared to install fine on Win 95, but will not open package. Error Code LP5. I have the latest Avast anti-virus, and older ZoneAlarm 2.1.25. 3.4 ran fine with this combination. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dogbows

Hmm! I am getting mail that posts have been made to this thread, but I am not seeing them. Can someone please help me?

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Did you disable all protection in the 3.4 version....which clears all the Spywareblaster database entries and then un-install 3.4 before installing 3.51 ?

4. dogbows

Yes I did.

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'll try to take a look at this in the upcoming week. I suspect it may have something to do with your unique combination of Windows and other software programs.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please list any other programs you have installed that run in the background? (i.e. Things like other security/privacy tools.)

Also, have you tried disabling your anti-virus, and then running SpywareBlaster?

Thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. dogbows

The only other security program I have is Spybot-S&D 1.3. The newer version of Spybot will not work on Win95, but at least Spybot is still upgrading 1.3.

I did not disable my anti-virus but to make it more clear. It installed on my computer fine, but when I tried to run it, the error said failure in unpacking program error code LP5, contact author. If I disable my anti-virus to run it, I would not want to access the net to search for upgrades. I did read on one of the download sites that something was required to run the newer version. I want to say something like Visual Basics, but not sure. And I really don't know if I have that or if it would work on Win95. I may have to just stick with 3.4 on the Win95. The only problem is I have even lost the upgrades to it now. I reinstalled it for the time being because I feel safer having it than nothing. In all the time I have had it, Spybot has never found any spyware on this old thing. :D

I might add that Spywareblaster has never recognized Mozilla on my old Win95. It says Mozilla is not installed and will not enable protection. I use both Firefox browser and Thunderbird email client. Spywareblaster did recognize Mozilla on Win98. I feel relatively certain it is a Win95 problem, not a security problem. All of my security programs are freeware and I had all the same programs on the Win95 and the Win98, but it is down. So once again I pulled out the old Win95. Other than being slower than New Jeruselem coming down from the black hole of the north, it actually gives me less problems than the Win98. ;)

7. dogbows

It's been almost a week now with no response. I guess I can assume no one has figured out what my problem is or either hasn't figured out how to fix it. This is very discouraging. I really depend a lot on this program. It would be nice if someone could help.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I can definetly understand being cautious now a days but during that time you are attempting a Spywareblaster update I'll wager my paycheck you would not be vulnerable to any wrong doing. However I can respect your decision if you do not choose that route but do understand it's kind of impossible to determine where the problem lies if temporarily disabling defenses is not an option :doubt:

9. dogbows

Well this old Win95 is so slow that it takes forever to do these kinds of things. I will later tonight when I have more time, disable my antivirus and my zone alarm. Then uninstall 3.4 and reinstall the new version, and just see if it will open without connecting to the internet. But if it turns out that is the problem I won't connect to the internet period without my other protection activated, so it would still be useless to me. I trust Spywareblaster completely, it is the rest of the internet I don't trust.

I really fail to see how it would give me that kind of error message if it were my antivirus though. The later Spybot S&D won't open on Win95 either, and it is a combination of Win95 and something they used in the latest version that won't work in Win95. I suspect it is a similar thing with Spywareblaster. Win95 is just so ancient it is never considered anymore at all when new programs are created.

But I will give it a shot just for you, and I will post the result as soon as I try it. :D

10. dogbows

Ok, Bubba, I disabled zonealarm and my antivirus program. Then disabled 3.4, then uninstalled it and reinstalled the 3.5.1.

Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thank You for posting those results and if I stumble across anything that could remotely possibly cause this on a Win95 machine I'll sure post it.

I can not confirm this since all of our Win95 workstations are gone but I am almost tempted to suggest a visual basic problem :doubt:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  12. dogbows

I thought it might be a visual basics problem too. MajorGeeks.com offers it for download and explains that if you get an error code to download the visual basics files. But the error code they give is specific and nothing like the LP5. I downloaded it anyway, when what you said to try didn't work. Still got the error.

I just assumed that all of the Spywareblaster versions used the visual basics though, and all of them have worked fine on Win95 til now. I think something is new that has not been identified yet, that is not comatible in Win95.

I really wish the last one that does work in Win95 still offered updates, like Spybot does because I lost all of them when I uninstalled 3.4 to intall the new one. The data base now is dated 5-14-05. :'(

Oh well thanks for trying Bubba!

13. josebarrs

josebarrs Registered Member

HI, I put a similar error, but with windows ME, the error code is 4. I use SS&D, AVP, in this PC. Before That PC used AVAST, but not now. With the SB 3.4, I used same combination and never had that problem in ME. THX. AHH, I don't have instaled 3.4 before instaling 3.5.1 SB in this PC

14. dogbows

I am not sure I understand your post completely, Jose. But I do have 3.4 with this combination, and it is working fine, and still doing a very good job for me. As stated before, I don't believe my problem is with the combination. I have virtually disabled everything to install the new version, and I still get the same error. I am convinced that it is a Win95 problem just as it is with the newer SS&D. But even if I am wrong, something changed in the program from 3.4 to 3.5.1 that keeps the newer one from working, since the older one works fine.

It has been a little over two weeks since javacool said they would try to look into it. I am still looking for an answer from them, even if it is to say, sorry, I can't find the problem, or I know the problem but it's not worth fixing for an outdated computer. I certainly could understand either, and would not be upset with either answer.

I just appreciate all the hard work they do for us with their own time and money. Hopefully, I won't have to be in this old computer much longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.