Error Burning the Bootable CDR/CDRW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rharris, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

2. Newager

Newager Registered Member

Through experimentation I've found a way to overcome the "Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW." This method is a variation of the disk-tray routine which was suggested under this thread by the Acronis moderator but which didn't work for me when I followed it exactly as given. What did work for me was the following:

* When you get to the point in the Rescue Media Builder wizard where it instructs you to insert a blank CD-R/CD-RW, manually open the burner tray, put in a blank CD, but DO NOT CLOSE THE BURNER TRAY.

* Then, while leaving the tray open with its blank CD, click the "Proceed" button. The program then automatically closes the tray and burns a bootable rescue disk.

This worked on my PC: Win98 SE, Sony CRX140E/CH2 burner, and True Image 8 (build 774). Maybe it won't work on your system, but it's probably worth a try.

However, even if this burner-tray trick is the panacea for this problem, it shouldn't be. This is clearly a serious glitch in the software that should be fixed ASAP. Another complaint here is that the error message displayed for this problem doesn't give even a hint as to what the cause might be. There's nothing I find more exasperating than error messages like this, and, as a former professional programmer, I can say that there's NO EXCUSE for this. Error-processing code should always display messages that give the user the most helpful info possible for correcting the problem. ARE YOU GETTING THIS, ACRONIS?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Newager,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) and for your feedback.

This problem is concerned with CD-burning software that can lock the CD-drive and doesn't let Acronis True Image to burn the CD disc. The workaround you have described here may help many users to overcome this problem. Thank you.

Our Developer now works on the new version of Bootable Rescue Media Builder and I will alert him about the importance of the informative error messages.

In the meantime we recommend to contact support@acronis.com regarding this problem and we will provide you with a link to the appropriate ISO file that you can burn using a third-party burning software in order to create a bootable CD disc.

Thank you.

4. EdP

EdP Registered Member

I upgraded TI 8.0 to Build 774 and was unable to create a bootable CD in either full or safe versions. One of the concerns I saw recurring in this forum is what other processes might be running when the burn attempt is made, so I took a look.

I disabled NeroCheck and NeroFilterCheck (nerocheck.exe), Acronis True Image Monitor and Acronis Scheduler2 Service (schedhlp.exe). I rebooted (probably not necessary) and was able to burn both the full and safe versions with no trouble. I was also able to successfully boot the PC using the full version bootable CD .

I realize that altering four variables at once is not proper scientific methodology, but I really wasn't in the mood to run an experiment. I don't know precisely what those four apps do or why they should be resident in memory, but I bet I'll find out. ;)

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello EdP

Most strange as I've never had to disable those particular services in order to create a bootable rescue disk. Still, if it works for you....

Don't forget to re-enable the Acronis services before creating an image otherwise TI won't work. See this <thread> for an explanation of what they do.

Regards

6. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up, MenorcaMan.

I had disabled schedhlp.exe and TrueImageMonitor, but I didn't disable (or even recall seeing) schedul2.exe, which is discussed in the thread you referred to. schedul2.exe is not running on my PC and sure enough, I can't create an image.

Do I have to reinstall TI to get schedul2.exe in the startup sequence? Or is there a switch I can set in the registry.

EdP

7. Deesystems

Deesystems Guest

From reading the post here and some of the soluitions it sounds if some of the 3rd party burnning software is keeping control of the Atapi driver (Xp's own cdburning service and Roxio's drag to disk tool) Starting into safemode would disable the Xp burnning service and 3rdparty drag to disk and autorun.

8. Menorcaman

Schedhlp.exe and Shedul2.exe are located in the folder Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\, whilst TrueImageMonitor is located in Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\.

Schedhlp.exe and TrueImageMonitor.exe are started via the Windows Registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Schedul2.exe on the other hand is started via Windows Services (right click "My Computer" and select "Manage" > "Services and Application" > "Services". There should be an entry "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" with its Status shown as "Running" and Startup Type set to "Automatic".

There are a couple of Registry hacks posted on this forum that I could point you at but I recommend you try an uninstall/reinstall first and let me know how you got on.

Regards

9. jimmytop

jimmytop Guest

Wow, I've been having the same problem as everyone else, not being able to create the bootable CD. This thing really needs to have the option to create an ISO image so we can burn it ourselves....

Anyway, here is how I finally got it to work. I went into Device Manager and changed the controller for the CD device to operate in PIO mode instead of UDMA-33. Then it made the bootable CD without error and it works too. I also set the record speed to 4x just to be safe.

Nothing else worked, not safe mode, not updated drivers, not any of the suggestions here worked for me.

Have since changed back to UDMA-33 since that works for everything but Acronis.

10. ?hmmm

?hmmm Guest

greetings all food for thought i did a fresh install of win me and found out that when i updated to media player 9 i couldn't make rescue cds anymore where as i could before if you look at the install process it installs a version of roxio in media player 9 it could be were the problems lies
    so something to chew on

11. herojig

herojig Registered Member

I'm wondering why TI8 774 wont recognize my firewire-attached Sony DRX-700UL burner? It sees my internal CD-writer, burns okay, but I would like to use a RW CD - as I bet u should make a new recovery disk everytime Acronis comes out with an update :D

12. Menorcaman

Yes, you should create a new boot rescue CD each time. This ensures the (Linux based) rescue CD contains any bug fixes and uses the latest open source Linux device drivers.

Regards

13. herojig

thanks menoman! as u know from answering my other post, i am using a hub. my old recovery CD works with the hub, the new one does not. so guess which one i want to use :D

if i dont care about linux (except for the fact that i would give my left arm never to have to use a MS OS again) do I need to care? :eek:

14. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Deesystems

You are right in your guess, I always disable the service IMAPI CD-Burning COM in XP's Service [when I install the OS] because it always calls itself to start when your burn with third party software even though the software have there own drivers, and they can bang heads together. [if you understand what I mean]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

15. herojig

interesting append. a few qs: is it possible to turn off the service after installation? and would that hurt any installed 3rd party configs. i have nero and it works great but i get problems with InCD. I don't want to mess things up, as the problems i have i can live with.

16. Menorcaman

Hmm, interesting point. I too use Nero and InCD but have never had to "Disable" the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service. The Windows default setting for this should be "Manual" (right click "My Computer" and select "Manage" > "Services and Application" > "Services". The "Startup Type" should be shown as "Manual").

However I do recommend disabling the Windows CD recording feature for your burner (for Windows XP open "My Computer", right click on the burner icon, select "Properties" then "Recording" and uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive"). Maybe this prevents the IMAP CD-Burning COM service from starting manually? Perhaps TheQuest could confirm.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  17. AZDeveloper

AZDeveloper Registered Member

I had this problem and fixed it.
    I disabled the drag and drop recording in XP by unchecking the "Enable Recording on this Drive" checkbox on the "Recording" tab on my CDRW's icon in "My Computer"

AND

I exited Windows Media Player (which grabs control over your burner).

So, perhaps all I needed was to exit WMP and it would have run, but I did both. YMMV.

:)

Now I have a Bootable CD (but haven't tested it yet).

18. herojig

Thanks! those were the settings already. does anyone know if ATI even supports burning recovery media on external cd/dvd writers? maybe that's the problem that i have. works fine on the internal writer.

19. mbroski

mbroski Guest

What really helped me was having my CD burning software (Roxio CD Creator 5) opened before I rank the program

20. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Menorcaman

It always starts it is a pest:- IMHO :D

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

21. Menorcaman

Hi TheQuest,

Thanks for that. Just checked and yes, it does start whenever any DVD/CD burning activity is running (e.g. Nero burning, InCD packet writing etc).

Personally I've never had cause to disable the IMAP CD-Burning COM service, only the Windows native drag-and-drop facility. Still, if it works for you as they say!! So long as folks appreciate that disabling the IMAP CD-Burning COM service prevents Windows applications, such as Media Player, from writing direct to DVD/CD (disabling the Windows drag-and-drop facility doesn't affect Media Player by the way) :)

Regards
    Menorcaman

22. masseur

masseur Registered Member

Having upgraded to Trueimage version 8 I am also experiencing this problem and receiving this same error message. I have updated to build 786 and have read this thread very carefully and checked everything mentioned.

I found that by disabling roxio drag to disc OR by booting into safe mode I could get the bootable recovery disc creation to proceed successfuly without any errors however the disc produced is unusable. It will not boot the pc and also doing properties on it in windows explorer shows that the disc has 0 blocks used and 0 blocks free which doesn't make sense. An older TI version 7 recovery disc shows around 6mb used and the rest of the CD free and it boots fine

I've wasted 5 blank CDs in two separate drives (one internal and one external) trying to figure this so before I waste any more I wonder if anyone else has experienced this or has any tips?

I have been using TI since version 6 without issue in this area

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  23. Menorcaman

Search this forum and you will find that disabling Roxio Drag-to-Disk is one of the known cures for problems associated with bootable rescue CD creation. So are the other ones mentioned in this thread. As for the 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free - most strange, that normally indicates an empty RAW format disk. I've just checked my "Full" version rescue CD created by TI 8 build 786 and it shows 17.8MB used with 0 bytes free.

I always use CD RW when creating the initial boot rescue disk for a new build. Saves burning coasters if things turn out wrong!!

Regards

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  24. masseur

thanks for the CD-RW tip :) dunno why I didn't think of that

yes it does seem that although the recovery disc process goes through and says successful completion it actually does nothing to the CD. I checked before and after with Roxio disc and device utility and this confirms it and indeed I am able to use Roxio to initialise the disc and copy stuff to it

very strange o_O

25. masseur

ok well a little bump of this thread is required

I had cause to use my Vaio recovery discs this weekend to refresh my laptop back to its initial state.

after doing that I did all the latest windows updates including SP2 and then installed the latest trueimage but still I get this same error when trying to create the rescue disk.

i.e. with no other software installed except windows XP SP2 I still get this error so clearly something has to be done to fix this o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.