epfwlog.dat is big and getting bigger...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Atomas31, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I have this file epfwlog.dat, from ess, that is 331 489 ko and always getting bigger!!! How can I stop this madness and reduce it to a more suitable size?

In advanced setup/tools/logs I have tick the case to delete entry older than one day, I have check the automatically optimize the log when the number of entry unuse is greater than one and the log should indicate only the error...

I have a french Windows XP with SP3, and the french suite of ESS version 3.0.667.

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As a temporary solution I can think of is to open the program (Advanced Setup tree) and goto Personal firewall -> IDS and make sure that the firewall doesn't really log on all attempts it has blocked , the option at the bottom .

Enter in Safe Mode and rename epfwlog.dat to something like epfwlog_old.dat

Reboot .

3. Atomas31

Hi Hitech boy,

Thank's for your suggestion but do I really need to go in safe mode if so, i don't find that solution very attractive ;)

Hope that someone from Eset has a more friendly solution to this problem :rolleyes:

Thank's,
    Atomas31

4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

attractive? lol

if pressing one button during startup (f8 ) is un-attractive... you could always try to save your ess config, uninstal, reboot (in the fully attractive windows normal mode) delete all log files, reinstal, import previous settings...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. Atomas31

un-Attractive in the sens of having to lose a lot of time and doing a lot of pirouette for a problem that should be easy to resolve...

6. Atomas31

Thank's Hitech boy, I have done what you suggest and now I have a new epfwlog.dat at 1ko... I will check in a few day to see if it hasn't grow in term of size.

Thanks,
    Atomas31

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sorry I am late with the answer . I have good news for you , even though I read it is too late :D

No , you don't really need to go to Safe Mode -> Just make ESET service with status "Disabled" . An attractive way to do this is from Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Services . Then , start "Task Manager" -> CTR+ALT+Del . Shut down ekrn.exe (End process) and then you can freely delete/rename/move epfwlog.dat

After that , it would be good to enable the ESET service and make it to "Automatic" :thumb:

:thumb:

8. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I searched for epfwlog and didn't find it.
    I then searched "*.dat" and still didn't find it.

I wonder if Ccleaner (with standard settings) has anything to do with it not being there?
    I am running Windows Vista Business and ESS .669.
    Just curious.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Some possible reasons for the problem of growing epfwlog.dat:
    - enabled logging of all blocked connections when a huge number of connection attempts is blocked
    - enabled logging for rules that allow certain communication (e.g. a rule for explorer.exe might generate tons of such records in the log)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.