Entries vanishing from Security List in PG3.200

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by TopperID, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I have Regedit.exe and Rundll32.exe set to 'Permit Once', yet they both regularly vanish from my 'Security' list, so I couldn't make adjustment if I wanted to.

This never happened with PG 3.150. Is there a bug?

A reboot sometimes brings them back. They do not vanish from the Protection list.

I'm on XP Home SP2 and have 128 items on the security list.

2. TopperID

Here's a screeny just to make things clear. There could be other missing items I have not noticed yet.

I still get the Rundll pop ups BTW.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      131.7 KB
      Views:
  3. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I think that one of the new features is that Run or Block once do not stay in the list after you've closed PG or rebooted. This keeps the list smaller where you really only access an application infrequently, yet you do get the pop up when you do run the app. This actually makes sense, I'm quite happy to only see the apps that I've permanently permitted or blocked.

Jim

4. TopperID

That could be possible, but why are cmd.exe and Regsvr32.exe still on the list?

Yesterday Regedit was on the list and today it is not; it all seems so inconsistent, particularly as bothh Regedit and Rundll have been used regularly.

If this is a new feature, it is one I don't like!

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Start > run > cmd.exe

Chkdsk /f

Choose Y and press Enter.

Reboot.. allow disk check.

Any change ?

6. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

I am seeing the same thing. But it happens not only with anything in the Security tab on stuff that is set to Permit Once but also to Deny Once as well.

If it has a "permit or deny once" designation, it'll stay in the Security tab until it is run again. I still get prompted, and whether I permit once or deny once again, the entry is removed from the Security tab.

Security wise of course, you still get your prompt for anything set to "once", but slowly, app by app the Security tab only displays "always" entries only.

This does make it difficult to change the default action to "always" if your allow/deny once's are systematically removed from the Security tab.

It also makes it difficult to see if an obscure, rarely accessed executable in some nook and cranny folder of Windows, was ever "allowed/denied once" in the long distant past, since the all "once" entries are buried in the log files only. Since the log files are cut by day now, that makes finding out if something ever ran once on your system very difficult.

I understand the point that you don't want your Security tab clogged with temporary permit onces that'll never be executed again, but sometimes I really would prefer permit/deny once entires stayed put until I removed them. That way I could quickly change a default to "always" if I want and more importantly see if rarely accessed exe's were ever executed or denied "once" on my system in the past quickly.

7. TopperID

O.K, I understand what is happening now.:doubt:

If something is set to 'Permit/Deny Once' it will be removed from the list if you ever click Permit/Deny Once on a pop-up, but if you change the pop-up to Permit/Deny Always then the item returns to the list after a boot-up.

This is highly inconvenient and whoever thought up the idea requires a good talking to!:D

I hope the situation will be reversed a.s.a.p.:mad:

8. MAL71234

MAL71234 Guest

As long as it stays in the list long enough for you to potentially change it to always allow/block then I dont see the problem... Besides all you would have to do is re-open the program and select always block/allow. No sense in complicating things.

9. MAL74321

MAL74321 Guest

I personally rather choose program access when I launch the program, this way you're certain that you're creating rules for the right item. (ex: notepad.exe, which launches from 2 different locations depending on wether you launch it from programs/accessories or command prompt.)

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Thats right, and if something launches and you get a popup you didn't expect, it grabs your attention - just what you need if it IS an attack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.