Enlightenment desktop – Yes or no?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's a review of the Enlightenment (E17) desktop environment and window manager, focusing on installation and configuration, look & feel, customization, new themes, fonts, scaling, stability, resource usage, the historical and modern-age relevance, alternatives, and more.

http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=2500

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

That's before e18 comes out. The system settings should be centralized! Heck, in Pantheon Shell, on my elementaryOS Luna Plank - there is ONE icon called System Settings, that lets you configure everything from ONE place and all the different options are easy to navigate and get around. The Enlightenment desktop is badly in need of this. A user should not have to wade through a plethora of menus to administer their system. KISS = Keep It Simple. That's the way it ought to be in Linux.

Cheers! :thumb:

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

I found resizing, moving windows and their management in general was a pain in e17.

and the endless menus of course.

for me, XFCE is the sweet spot between speed, configuration, ease of use and beauty.

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

The only experience i have with the Enlightenment desktop is in Bodhi Linux.

Although i like this distro (because is fast and doesn't bring almost anything pre-installed) i share the same impression with moontan: resizing, moving windows and management in general is a pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.