Enjoying Voyager, The Killer XFCE/Ubuntu Distro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by apathy, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

There are far too many distros and I only have so many machine and time.
    I've been on the Linux Mint/Open Suse bandwagon and enjoying the ride but
    excellence can be found in other places.

Here's some tidbits about it from the website(roughly translated):
    For me it is much better than vanilla xubuntu, with apps that I would normally install anyways like Clementine, Hotot, Jupiter, and others. It has good integration with the ubuntu notification system and I haven't had to do much of anything. It just works and you can tell that a lot of work has gone into it.

If you like XFCE check it out.

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Link ?

3. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Link
    The website is in french so you might need some google translation.

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

946 megabytes (showing up as 992 megabytes in Transmission)?! Sounds like they threw in everything but the kitchen sink into this one. Reminds me of a Mint download as far as download size goes. Hope it doesn't have 3 video players in it. I downloaded Zorin 6 RC1 the other day (it was great , BTW) but jezz the size of the download (1.3 gigabytes).

The torrent download just finished. Will probably give it a try tomorrow.

I will say I'm digging Xubuntu 12.04 here lately. :thumb: . If only it had a better menu, like gnome-main-menu for instance, and a plugin like Talika.

Later...

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Well I had to try this in my VM just to find out how he got XFCE to act like Windows/OSX in the sense you can launch apps from a "dock". Apparently it wasn't XFCE, it was Avant Window Navigator. Going to install it at some point and give it a try.

Anyone know what the CPU/Memory/etc widgets is from?

6. Trespasser

It was xfce. AWN was acting as an extra panel on the Desktop. It also has a lot of gnome stuff installed as well (gnome-panel for one...which is not even used that I could see). I went thru synaptic to see just what was installed (1712 packages). It had two video players (totem and vlc). With all the gnome stuff in it I couldn't decide whether they started from a regular ubuntu install...stripped out what they didn't want then added the xfce stuff...version 4.8, or started from an xubuntu base. Over all it was a nice distro but way too bloated for my taste.

Later...

7. Trespasser

In an above post I mentioned that I wish xubuntu had a Talika substitute. Well, it appears a Talika-like feature was there all along. All you need to do is right-click on the Window Buttons separator (to the right of the Menu icon in the panel), choose Properties and uncheck "Show button labels", which is enabled by default. This removes the text info for the displayed open window which in turn saves you a lot of panel space particularly if you have a number of windows open. You still can hover your mouse pointer over the icon to find out its location.

I tried to upload a screenshot but it was too large. :cautious: .

Hope this helps someone...but then again maybe you already know about it. :).

Later...

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And maybe some of us didn't, so thanks for mentioning it :D
    I'm trying it out right now although I rarely open many things at one time.

9. Trespasser

I got compiz and emerald running on xubuntu 12.04. The key to getting emerald going was finding the right version (.0.9.5 is what I have installed and it works just like it did in Lucid). Just Google emerald .0.9.5 deb. A launchpad site is offering it for both 32 and 64 bit.

I also have a couple of .gtkrc-2.0 tweaks which place a dark shadow around my white fonts on Desktop (I rotate my 250 or so wallpapers every 10 minutes). On a mainly white wallpaper I couldn't see the icon text...well, now I can. Also, I have another minor gtkrc-2.0 tweak that allows me to change the font used in the xfce panel (not the digital clock...it has its own setting). I'd be glad to post it if anyone is interested.

BTW, Voyager had a stash of over 280 unique wallpapers in it. And I thought I had a lot. They were nice though. I stole a few for my collection.

Later...

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You shouldn't post only if you think no one is interested. And since you can't prove a negative, why not just post? ;)

That digital clock does have its own language: prango or pango or some such stuff. Yuck. Finally, I settled on analog but we get the date on hover so ...

11. hmayle

hmayle Registered Member

I have been using Voyager 12.04 for about a month now , and I can tell you that it is the best distro, right out of the box, that i have ever tried. Visually stunning, boots quickly, runs perfectly so far.
    I'm a long time Mint user. For the past few weeks I have been installing and uninstalling Mint Cinnamon, Mate, and Mint KDE unable to make up my mind. A 10 minute preview of Voyager 12.04 made up my mind very quickly. This is a sweet looking, sweet running Xbuntu based distro.

12. apathy

apathy Registered Member

For me everything is integrated nicely from the notifications, the conky control, the great mouse icons and the wonderful wallpaper. It is the best XFCE distro period. Too bad whoever makes it doesn't have other flavors so I could replace gnome shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.