Endeavor or Manjaro?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by shmu26, Sep 8, 2020.

1. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I want to run KDE on Arch. I have tried Manjaro but not Endeavor (or the defunct Antegros), and I am hesitant to go with straight Arch. So AFAIK, my choices are Manjaro and Endeavor.
    My hardware is i7 9th gen with integrated graphics, so I am not worried about buggy NVIDIA updates, and I have an older HP printer supported by most distros.
    What are your thoughts about Endeavor? How is the forum experience? Does Endeavor maintain the OS beyond the installation stage, or do you become straight Arch from the first login, or what?

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

EndeavorOS is an easy installer for Arch with some added tools. After the install you will be running Arch from Arch repo's along with what ever the Endeavor team adds to their repo. EndeavorOS default desktop is XFCE and it has their customization, the other DE's will be vanilla Arch. I use EndeavorOS KDE and converted 4 year old Antergos over to EndeavorOS, both have been trouble free for me.

The forum is one of the best up there with MX Linux for friendliness and help. With the bump in the road (shake up) Manjaro went through some of the best Manjaro people are at EndeavorOS forum, everyone providing help for those in need.

If you are not interested in installing Arch the Arch way and using their forum then EndeavorOS is the way to go IMHO. Give the live DVD a try and lurk the forum.

3. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Thanks.
    Case in point: About a year ago, VirtualBox released a new version that did not yet have Extension pack support for the latest linux kernel. Manjaro held off on updating VirtualBox until this issue was resolved.
    What happens in a case like this with Endeavor/Arch? Do you get the latest and greatest even if it doesn't work?
    I am just trying to guess about worst case scenarios.

Another question: how much difference is there between vanilla KDE and, let's say, Kubuntu or MX-KDE or Manjaro KDE? I am simply asking from ignorance, as I never played for more than a few minutes with vanilla KDE.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Maybe do a couple of dry runs in a VM first? The last time I looked at Manjaro, it came with quite a bit of extra software.

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't know about VirtualBox because I don't use it but I do know that Endeavor people have it installed in VM. As for the KDE ? MX-KDE would be an older version (Debian buster) KDE/Plasma 5.14.5 vs Arch 5.19.5, MX customizations & MX tools. Arch vanilla KDE would be like KDE neon, default KDE from the factory, you tweak and add software the way you want.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  6. Gringo95

Gringo95 Registered Member

If the OP wants to run on an Arch base I’m not sure why other systems should be mentioned here at all but just in case Debian is a consideration then Q4OS (base + options), Neptune and SolydK (ex Linux Mint Debian) are worth a look. Then of course there’s Solus or even Gentoo based such as Calculate and Redcore. For Arch though there’s the new but well received Garuda or well established Bluestar to consider. As ever with Linux there’s too much choice for everything.

7. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

OP here -- I installed Endeavor with the themed Xfce desktop (faster install because it's all on the installation media already).
    I was thoroughly underimpressed by the desktop experience, but I decided not to judge an Arch launchpad by looks alone.
    Then I accepted the pop-up offer to configure my mirrors, which sounded like a good idea to me and I appreciated the offer. But it responded sluggishly, took too many steps, and didn't remember my choices very well, even after a couple tries. So, no go.

I am writing this from my new Manjaro installation.

I guess my main goal was to have newly updated software without a hassle, for things like LibreOffice and VirtualBox, where updates sometimes actually make a difference. It worked out well regarding LibreOffice, as LibreOffice-fresh is in the Manjaro repo, supplying you with the latest and greatest.

But Manjaro is not yet officially offering the latest version of Virtualbox -- albeit a newer version than Ubuntu or MX offers -- due to an issue with the latest linux kernel, which Manjaro is using. So in this case, an older kernel enables you, paradoxically, to use newer software.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.