encryption software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by brihy1, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

is there any encryption software that works with windows 8,uefi secure boot,gpt ?Im using windows 8 not pro.i tried truecrypt but doesn't support gpt.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved to This Forum For More Exposure.

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I think the only way is to upgrade to Pro and use bitlocker. This until a new release of TC will be available.

4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

5. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

bestcrypt is $100 and I can updrade to win 8 pro for about the same price.thanks for replying

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

You could try DiskCryptor. I'm not sure if it will work with your setup, but it's free so worth a try, at least if you can do it inside a VM.

Personally I prefer DiskCryptor to TrueCrypt anyway. You can make it boot from a CD/USB in case you don't want to mess with your hard drive's MBR. For example you could make your hard drive MBR boot to an unencrypted linux partition (decoy), and load Windows 8 only if your CD/USB drive is attached with DiskCryptor bootloader (and keyfile if you like), and of course you need to enter the correct password too (unless you are only using a keyfile).

7. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

You can easily do that too with TrueCrypt. I have done it many times.

Also, while I have no "proof" I don't trust bitlocker and M$ along with Prism. Call it a hunch based upon recent events.

8. JimmySausage

JimmySausage Registered Member

One would have to be absolutely insane to trust BitLocker or anything made from Microsoft (or any other Major Co.) to protect your privacy.

9. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

pajenn,diskcryptor wont work,i think ill hang tight until truecrypt comes out with a new version,thanks

10. x942

x942 Guest

I use bestcrypt. Works well. It's closed source but I trust these guys (for work anyways) normally I would use Trucrypt but until it supports it bestcrypt is good alternative.

Several businesses I have been too use it as well. Again no telling if it's backdoored but I don't believe it is there support guys seem to be pretty serious about security/privacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.