Encryption Question

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Vietnam Vet, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi,

Some background first: Filechecker started to issue a steady stream of complaints about checksum changes, so to make a long story short, I downloaded one of the utilities listed on Wilders.org and checked every file I have in the filechecker checklist, and after receiving the next set of warnings, rechecked, and there was no change.

I wanted to go with a fresh install of filechecker, so I removed it, and then searched the hard drive and the registry for any remnants. As near as I could tell, everything is gone now. This , finally, brings me to my question.

After reinstalling and adding files to be checked back in, I clicked the button to encrypt the list, and was told it was already encrypted. I understand this is a one time operation, but this was a fresh install, and this was the first time the button was pushed. Leads me to believe that somewhere, the original list must still exist. Maybe this is not even a problem, but given my previous problem, wanted to start totally over. Any advisement on which way to proceed?

Running Win98SE, IE6.0SP1, Filechecker currently uninstalled. Any other info that would be helpful, just ask.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That button was placed in the FileChecker program so users upgrading from earlier versions would not have to re-add every item on their watch-list.

If you remove all remnants from the registry, FileChecker will automatically begin encrypting everything it stores in the registry. And even if you didn't remove every last trace from the registry, if you receive that message you can be sure your watch-list is being stored in an encrypted format.

Hope this helps. :)

-Javacool

P.S. I'll look into the checksum changes you were experiencing - it is possible another program could have been conflicting with FileChecker (or it could be a bug - again, I'll look into it).

3. Vietnam Vet

Hi javacool,

Thanks for info, based on that am going ahead with the reinstall. Will try to determine which program is causing conflict. Tried to do that before uninstalling in the first place without much luck, as I thought that was the most likely answer. Ran out of patience before finding answer, so decided on clean install. Will keep you appraised if problem returns and am able to figure out what the problem is.

4. javacool

It could have been that a recently installed program installed an older dll file (and a dll file that FileChecker needs to run). If this was the issue, re-installing should fix it.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Vietnam Vet

Hi javacool,

Reinstalled, same problem. Played with this thing several hours, not much luck. Played some more today.

Good news is no warnings for last 3 hours. Bad news is to accomplish this, I removed the executables(from Filechecker), for Spywareblaster and ID-Blaster Plus. For some reason your programs don't seem to play nice together on this computer of mine. :doubt:

Unless you know some reason that I shouldn't have those two in there to start with, I will assume this is some wierdness from my end. Again, anything changes will let you know. Thanks.

6. javacool

Well, that's strange.

Please do keep me informed of any changes. I'll run some further tests myself.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Vietnam Vet

Just to keep you up to speed on this situation. I added the Spywareblaster exe. back in. It does not cause a problem! After discovering originally that IDBlaster exe. was apparently causing much of my problem, I removed it from the checklist. I would then get an additional checksum warning on the next scan, and after removing the exe. for Spywareblaster, no more warnings. I, (wrongfully), thought this was a problem with this file as well. I can not explain why, but everytime after removing the exe. for IDBlaster, there will be one more checksum warning at the next scan, irregardless as to removing anything else from the checklist or not. This problem can be reproduced on this computer at will.

As long as IDBlaster exe. is in the checklist, there will be checksum warnings. If it is removed, after the one additional warning, there are no more warnings. For me, whatever the reason, I just can not keep this file in the checklist.

Now, having said all this, I want everyone reading this to be perfectly clear, I do not think there is a problem with any of the aforementioned applications. I personally use all of javacool's programs and love them. I think this is just "one of those things" that will happen sometimes.

javacool, since no one else has mentioned having this problem, I would assume that this is an isolated incident, and therefore nothing to get excited about. If you recall, I also had the problem with checking the filechecker exe. and you said that only affected a few systems. Seems I just have one of those systems :rolleyes: Keep up the great work and don't worry about this, as it just isn't that big a deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.