Encrypt [source -> ISP -> dest] possible?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by elumineX, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elumineX

elumineX Registered Member

I'm looking for a solution that encrypts my connection preventing my ISP from knowing too much.
    What I need is basically my packets encrypted from my computer, through my ISP, then decrypted and sent out to the destination. I looked at Tor and Anonymizer, GhostSurf etc, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if they just hide your IP or only encrypt the data AFTER the ISP link.

What I want, could basically be done like this;
    1) The data is encrypted on my computer
    2) The data is sent to a decryption server (when it reaches this, it should have gone through my ISP encrypted)
    3) The decryption server sends the data (for ex a web request) to the destination in unencrypted form
    -------- reply --------
    4) The destination responds to the decryption server (which sent the request) in unencrypted form
    5) The decryption server encrypts the data again and sends it to my computer
    6) My computer decrypts the data and has received the response (which again was encrypted through my ISP)

Is this possible with some existing software / solution? As I understand it, it's not nearly as important to have the link between 3 and 4 encrypted as it is between 1 and 3, because if someone wants to sniff the data unencrypted they would need to have physical access to the decryption servers connection (etc - which is very unlikely they do) instead of my own if it was only encrypted between 3 and 4.
    The decryption server would also hide my IP in this process because it's requesting webpages (or data) on my behalf, and redirecting it to me.

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

http://xerobank.com/images/diagramV3.jpg

From my understanding, this is what you are looking for.

Your connection from you, past your ISP, to XeroBank is encrypted.
    Then it travels through the XeroBank network and is anonymized, and goes to the internet.

This is accomplished with any of the XeroBank services.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Virtually all the commercial and non-commercial anonymity services offer this - Tor, JAP, Anonymizer and XeroBank. The main differences come down to speed (the commercial services can afford more bandwidth so will offer higher speeds), number of exit nodes and the ability of the anonymity provider to track what you are doing (either to tackle abuse, co-operate with a court subpoena or for idle curiosity).

The best choice will depend on how well you wish to anonymize yourself, from whom, what slowdown in speed you are prepared to tolerate and how much (if anything) you are prepared to pay. There are plenty of threads in this forum comparing the options so a search there should pay dividends.

4. elumineX

elumineX Registered Member

Thanks for both your replies.
    Torrify - does XeroBank (or such services in general) allow for trouble-free online gaming? I'm looking for a commercial solution that does not slow down my connection (4096/512), allow me to game online, and most importantly protect my privacy by encrypting my connection (especially through Imy ISP). As far as I can see, XeroBank does have such a solution, but to take full advantage of my connection I need the large package (or do I?) - and that's not a price I'm willing to pay.

5. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

I have using Total Net Shield for a couple of years and have been happy with it. It costs $99 for the first year and $79 the next year.

Go here for more info: http://www.anonymizer.com

I have not noticed any slowing down of speed.

6. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Yes, the XeroBank Pro connection will be beyond fast enough for gaming, and will allow you to connect via UDP ports seamlessly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.