Emsisoft's new Mamutu pre-beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shaddi, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

So you don't mind even if the name is an object of ridicule, as long as it gets talked about?

A rather... unique marketing strategy, to say the least.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ Christian Mairoll

OK cool, but will you now please scrap the internet account activation "feature", so that I will finally be able to test it on a virtual machine? Earlier I wrote:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s really feels bad, atleast to me!

4. solcroft

Rasheed, not to sound like a smartass, but if you know full well it's your VM that's not working, perhaps you should be trying to fix that problem instead.

Looks like the beta still has the same problem as the pre-release. This alert pops up less than five seconds after completing the initial wizard. And I thought TF was an FP machine...

Attached Files:

5. solcroft

Execute trojan. Trojan installs LSP driver. Mamutu steps in with alert, user selects to quarantine trojan. Mamutu destroys the LSP stack while trying to quarantine trojan, cutting off all internet access, and forcing the use of netsh + reboot.

Mamutu was more destructive than the trojan, no contest. It didn't last more than ten minutes on user's machine.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OT:

Actually, even without any problems (seems like the upgrade screwed my VMware Workstation up) it´s still a pain to get my VM internet connection working, I basically have to reboot and wait for like 4 minutes before my USB ADSL modem gets recognized. So I hate all products who need internet activation, I had the same problem with DriveSentry, it´s ridiculous, anti malware tools shouldn´t need to connect to a network.

7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I have used a-squared Anti-Malware with IDS enabled for several months without problems, and I just don't understand how Mamutu can cause such troubles. I know it's still in beta and some things were added, but it is based on a-squared's IDS which is top notch.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  8. solcroft

It has some problems trying to quarantine certain types of malware without chainsawing Windows off at the knees as well.

But I'll agree, it should provide good protection. I have yet to test it extensively, but this is usually the case for FP machines.

9. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

The LSP should be correctly deregistered before quarantining the file, you're right. We'll take care about this problem, thanks.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

During our teatime break, someone in our group(product development) raised this question, I thought you may be interested in. The question is: Have you ever asked computer-major students in college/university nearby about the NAME of your product ? I have 10 to 1 favor in this reply: What? What is that ? A creature from out of space, it does not sound very human----. Just a laughing tea-time material, do not get too serious. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.