Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Austerity, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Are there any tests of EAM with Bitdefender disabled? I'd like to know how well Emsisoft's own technology fares.

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

AFAIK it is not possible to disable one of the engines.

3. _Tempus_

_Tempus_ Guest

I guess the closest you can get to test/review their own technology is to disable file guard and surf protection, to test their own behavior blocker. But as Siketa said, there is no way in the interface where you can uncheck the bitdefender engine. I would have truly " Loved " to do the test too...... I mean nothing bad with this statement, but I think it's sad to see so many Av's built up around the bitdefender engine. It kills the development race between companies, giving us instead products full of registry cleaners toolbars and other junk, which most often is completely irrelevant for security. But of course it's only my perception of things :) I can see I'm beginning to go a bit of topic here...sorry

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

AFAIK Emsisoft's own engine is complementary to Bitdefender, hence there are no signatures for what Bitdefender already detects. Considering that the results would be very bad without Bitdefender (behavior blocker aside), yet that doesn't mean the in-house engine is bad.

5. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

No and such tests won't make much sense. We remove all detections of malware detected by BD from our signature database on a fairly regular basis to keep overhead low. Detection rates with BD disabled would be rather poor due to that for obvious reasons which is why we don't allow it to begin with.

6. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

7. anon

anon Registered Member

http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2015...alware-internet-security-9-0-0-4985-released/

Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Internet Security 9.0.0.4985 released

March 2, 2015

Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0.0.4985 released. This is a maintenance release for improved usability, speed, detection and stability.

Note: Update to 9.0.0.4985 requires a computer reboot.

New notification with scan statistics after boot, if PC was shutdown by ‘Shutdown computer on scan completion’.
    New scheduled scans button on scan dialog.
    New context menu for application rules dialog.
    Redesigned and improved core driver modules.
    Improved Behavior Blocker digital signature check on computer startup.
    Improved update process.
    Improved automatic update scheduler.
    Improved logging details for Behavior Blocker/File Guard/Surf Protection.
    Improved automatic refreshing of logs.
    Improved ‘Restore’ and ‘Save copy’ from Quarantine now shows a dialog asking if you want to add the file to white-list.
    Improved ‘Restore from Quarantine’ now shows a dialog asking if you want to overwrite an existing file.
    Improved whitelist grid keyboard navigation.
    Improved installation wizard: Now requires a reboot at the last step instead of after scan when malware has been found.
    Improved installation wizard: Fixed verification of correct installation.
    Improved support for TLS for email notifications.
    Improved loading of hosts file in Protection/Surf Protection.
    Improved stability and GUI enhancements.
    Fixed a possible install wizard hang after entering an incorrect license key.
    Fixed an occasional issue where ‘Application changed’-alert resulted in a loop.
    Fixed a crash on GUI unload after “Shutdown on scan finish”, if auto-quarantine option selected.
    Fixed repeated removable drive notification.
    Fixed an issue where sending a test email froze the GUI.
    Fixed a possible application crash on PC shutdown.
    Fixed a possible install wizard hang when an invalid license key was entered.
    Fixed an issue with the notification area icon context menu.
    Fixed an issue with Surf Protection for Chromium based browsers.
    Fixed an issue in Windows safe mode.

8. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

"Improved ‘Restore’ and ‘Save copy’ from Quarantine now shows a dialog asking if you want to add the file to white-list."

And it works perfectly!!....Not the never-ending struggle I had with Avast and Avira that offered to restore and white-list only to quarantine the file immediately.

9. itman

itman Registered Member

"Improved Behavior Blocker digital signature check on computer startup."

Explanation on what this does, please.

10. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Under some circumstances EAM and EIS were unable to check digital signatures properly during boot. We fixed that problem in the latest release.

11. itman

itman Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. However, what I am interested in is what EAM does in regards to certificate checking. For example is it checking for fraudulent certs. in the Trusted Root store or what?

12. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

No, but we identify some of the trusted applications by their certificate. Most notably, Windows components.

13. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

Thanks man

14. itman

itman Registered Member

Fabian, a comment on this thread I saw over at MalwareTips; http://malwaretips.com/threads/emsisoft-banking-protection.43066/ .

Author stating that banking protection exists in EAM but only for IE? Something new in this latest release? Only banking protection I am aware of in EAM is that given by the behavior blocker. And, that protection applies to all elements of your software; not just the browser.

15. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

He just mixed a few things up, that is all. The behavior blocker is pretty much browser agnostic. The only aspect that isn't is the detection of hidden browser add-on installation. That only works for IE at the moment. It is pretty much irrelevant for protection from banking malware though.

16. anon

anon Registered Member

http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2015...alware-internet-security-9-0-0-5066-released/

Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Internet Security 9.0.0.5066 released
    March 23, 2015

Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0.0.5066 released. This is a maintenance release for improved usability, speed, detection and stability.

Note: Update to 9.0.0.5066 requires a computer reboot.

• Improved: Occasional crash or guards not loading.
    • Improved: Occasional delays during system boot.
    • Fixed: Settings button on malware alert notification.
    • Fixed: Out of resources error.

17. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Antivirus, Anti-Malware, Anti-PUP? What is Emsisoft really? | Emsisoft Blog

18. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

How can you check which version you have? Where is it on the GUI?

19. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Select 'About' at the lower right corner of the gui. See attached.

Attached Files:

20. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I love Emsisoft Anti-Malware but it is now one of the most expensive solutions here in Brazil, it seems that Emsisoft is adjusting the price with Dollar and not taking account of brazilian money value and Brazil's reality.
    In the past it was one of the most affordable solutions, maybe the staff could adjust the price properly. (ESET, Kaspersky, Panda, Trend Micro do)

21. funkymonkeyboy

funkymonkeyboy Registered Member

Are there any extended trials for this software or beta versions for free?

22. itman

itman Registered Member

There was has been a free version of EAM. Has no real time protection.

23. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

2 1/2 months and still happy with Emsisoft. Still using is daily on two PC's. The rest of the house is on Avira AV Pro, which is one of my all time favorites.

24. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

@Fabian Wosar ;
    I'm a user of both EIS and Online Armor on different machines and really like both products. However as previously stated in the thread the pricing is quite high. I can find 1 year 1 PC IS suites of some venerable competitors at about 12$ average, whereas EIS is listed at 26$ and Online Armor as 21$ in official sales page. Will there be adjustments on the prices?

P.S. I don't name vendors to not turn this into an A vs B. But I can list several vendors that sell licenses lower than half of your listings.

25. itman

itman Registered Member

Interesting. For U.S. people on their web site, EIS is $49 and OA is $39 USD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.