Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 11 has been released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fabian Wosar, Nov 12, 2015.

1. laopa

laopa Registered Member

Sqeezed between the Pacific and Indian Oceans
    What is the basis of your unrealistic and derogatory comment? Which by the way are your words and not mine.

"British English: unrealistic If you say that someone is being unrealistic, you mean that they do not recognize the truth about a situation, especially about the difficulties involved"

"British English: derogatory If you make a derogatory remark or comment about someone or something, you express your low opinion of them."

Neither of those terms are mine and or address the issue of whether what I said was truthful. Fact is they knew.

Emsisoft knew there was an issue with Chrome based Browsers = Opera, Vivaldi and Google Chrome plus Sandboxie which all showed up in beta testing and as stated above by Arthur Wilkinson (AKA GT500) of Emsisoft.

He states that Fabian knew about the Chrome problems and tried to fix it in the last beta and it did not work = "however there were some issues with it and may need some more work."

No doubt they will fix it as they have no other option.

On the point of post counting. I have a total of 21 here and 42 over at Emsisoft compared to your 5,531 here and ? = probably something similar, over at Emsisoft.

So if my many is 63 and your many is in the region of 5,531 plus ?

I think your many wins!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've never said others are wrong or the problem doesn't exist. But the reader of this thread could get the impression from some posts that "everyone" has the problem. I wanted to see for myself, and then posted the results. Period.

3. laopa

laopa Registered Member

Re-read all the Posts and don't see any reference to "everyone" (whoever that means) having the "problem" (whatever that is).

What they do say is that some people, who are now using EAM11 and EIS 11 are having problems with Chrome based Browsers Google Chrome, Vivaldi and the later versions of Opera. Some people are also having problems with Sandboxie and some people are having BSOD episodes which seem to be related to the Firewall in EIS. Plus a bunch of other individual problems.

Put it all together and it is a lot more than none and a lot less than everyone.

4. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

I indeed did know about the issue relatively quickly after release and started working on it the moment I got feedback from some of the affected users, which is what Arthur was referring to. However, that does not mean I knew about it before the release as you try to imply. There were a handful of reports during the beta, but in all cases where the users followed up with us a later update was reported to have fixed it. A lot of our internal testers are avid Sandboxie users, none of which had any problems with the public beta version.

In general Chrome, Sandboxie and EAM are all quite complex pieces of software. They all use similar techniques to control or limit the actions a certain piece of code is allowed to perform. The problem is that combining and stacking these techniques is bound to cause problems eventually, as they aren't exactly standardized or even documented. In this particular case, the order in which all involved applications installed their control mechanisms plays a role, which is why only some users are affected while others have no problem at all. The new beta version, that I released a couple of hours after we became aware of the problem, works around this problem by detecting bad load orders and making sure to avoid any configurations that will cause the aforementioned crash to occur. There is nothing wrong with the fix itself and it is safe to turn on beta updates. Windows may trigger a restart of the Explorer once during the update installation though, which is why we haven't pushed the update to stable yet, as some users will be confused when suddenly their Explorer windows disappear and reappear.

The BSODs are indeed related to the new NDIS 6 filter driver. Thanks to the dumps that you and a couple of other affected user submitted, we were able to locate the problem and a fix should be available via online update shortly.

5. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I've been eying emsisoft for a while but was turned off by a few things I won't go into here but the biggest hurdle has been the fact I have a lifetime license for a different product. Recent 'lags' in that products updates have had me checking out potential replacements again and so I've been paying more attention to this thread (and a few others). Seeing the level of communication you just demonstrated above, on a public platform, really has me thinking about switching anyway...you have to respect that kind of involvement.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  6. laopa

laopa Registered Member

@syrinx

I could only support your choice if you switched to Emsisoft.

Great products with occasional hic ups but overall well worth the money.

Support is generally top notch as well, at least over my 10 years or so as a customer and user.

That said it doesn't mean I have been prepared to swallow everything that's been dished up.

7. tuvalu_tt

tuvalu_tt Registered Member

EAM on 2 computers, win 8.1 and win 7, after update everything ok, but after several reboots -> Emsisoft Anti-Malware tray icon missing.
    i forgot to view running processes, so i don't know if it was running.
    on win 8.1 i did get several warnings and program crashes, when i did try to open Emsisoft: illegal access and some other warnings.
    Sorry, no screenshots, or bug report files.
    So my troubleshooting and bug report collecting was a newbie one.
    But after uninstall and re-install, it works.

Other security programs:
    Win 8.1: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Windows Firewall.
    Win 7: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, HitManPro.Alert, Windows Firewall.

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

WHats in my signature and I use chrome , no problems whatsoever

9. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

That's exactly what happened here : the new beta allowed Opera and Vivaldi to work smoothly, but there was an issue with Explorer.
    Any idea when the new stable version will be ready ? Thanks.

10. laopa

laopa Registered Member

Just in case anybody out there is a dummy like me, here is a snippet of information that you should be aware of.

From Peter2150. (Emsisoft EIS Forum version)

"If the beta update was working you have to leave beta turned on. Turning it off will cause an update back to the release version."

So after you update to the Beta Version for EAM or EIS leave the Beta Update Enabled or your system will revert to the current Stable Release Version which is causing problems for some users.

All Hail Peter2150.

11. illicit

illicit Registered Member

Beta update seemed to work as well. Removed the exclusion from Chrome and it started up no issues.

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

BTW, I have another question. Certain key-loggers claim they are able to hide from the Task Manager. Is this even possible on Win 8 and 10, and if so, can the behavior blocker spot this?

13. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Fabian, I read that firewall in EIS is now improved,, I fail to see in what ways improved, can you please give some more detailed info about new and improved firewall in EIS?
    Big thanks in advance.

14. ichito

ichito Registered Member

"Grrrreat"...
    Just shame...
    http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/11/12/a-leap-in-technology-emsisoft-anti-malware-11-available-now/

15. fax

fax Registered Member

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not sure why it's "Shame". You are going to see this more and more as companies realize they can't move forward with Win 10 and still support XP. I loved XP, and didn't change until my XP hardware died, but that is life.

17. itman

itman Registered Member

18. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

It's not semi-borked. It was a problem in the old version during unloading on some systems and also happened when you shut down EAM manually. It is fixed in the new version, but since installing the fix isn't possible without restarting with the old version, it's just something we have to go through.

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

This happened to me today with EAM, version 11, which I believe is the new version. This is not the only occurrence while updating with the new version.

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The release notes for version 11.0.0.5958 state an application restart is required for EAM but the system needs to be rebooted for EIS. (http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2015...isoft-internet-security-11-0-0-5958-released/)

Some commenters have noticed .old and .backup files appearing in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder after the update. I saw those too but opted to reboot and the .old files have now gone. However, some .backup files remain. Were they there before and if not, can they be manually removed safely?

21. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

O.K. Thanks.

22. itman

itman Registered Member

Sweet deal on EAM + HitmanPro for $39 for 1 PC 1 year license over at the Surfright web site. Wish Surfright would give a discount to existing EAM users.

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Can you perhaps answer this question? Thanks in advance.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...-has-been-released.381438/page-3#post-2542685

24. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

I am supposed to renew my licence by tomorrow. Any upcoming Black Friday deals ?

25. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I wonder that myself! Any directions would be kindly appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.