Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0 Public Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fabian Wosar, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't get it. You expect to be taken to the correct page when you type in the wrong thing, and that is EMSISOFT's fault.

2. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Thanks once again for your prompt and informative reply Fabian. By the way, tried the new updated version of EIS...and experienced a black screen...had to do a system restore...so I quickly uninstalled...and will patiently wait for the Release Candidate for EIS. Sincerely...Securon

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Actually hes kinda right. I am usually taken to the spanish website even though i dont want to. (And i always type .com and it redirects me to .mx and im not from mexico)
    I guess they use my IP to decide what language would be the appropriate but i wish there was a way to change it so it doesnt redirects me.
    That's one of the things i hate the most about the Emsisoft website . . . always get redirected and i always have to change it back to English.

5. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Pretty much this, yes. Your IP decides which language you get when you go to the normal http://www.emsisoft.com page. IP ranges constantly change so a tiny fraction of the users may end up with a different language than they expect.

Or you could just go straight to http://www.emsisoft.com/en/.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

So there's no way to make it light like v6 used to be? even the cpu spikes randomly

8. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Fabian,

What will become of the Freeware version?

I saw it referenced in the thread earlier... but I'm not clear.

Thanks,

-ftp

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Just out of interest, because of my recent posts about memory usage of EAM...

ScreenShot_EAM_Memory usage_01.gif

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

11. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    No issues here at all, except i need to repurchase...let it lag unexpectedly.

12. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

So for the clarity and your education: none of European countries have Russian language as official, so don't speak about IPS and any other BS. Why you can't just let stay on EMSISOFT.COM ( and that's supposedly is in English) ? if I want different language then I will choose language from the drop down menu ?

13. Malware fighter

You missed the problem - I live in EU and when type emsisoft.com I'm getting redirected to russian page of emsisoft - what a bloody nonsense-we don't speak Russian here.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice, didnt come to my mind.
    I'll always go directly to this link from now on. :D

15. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

16. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I think EIS 9 Beta is becoming very stable. Very well done!

17. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

It depends on what you mean by "light like v6". Memory wise it's just impossible. Version 6 was almost 3 years ago. Signature counts have doubled or even tripled since then. Those have to go somewhere. Otherwise version 6 was a lot heavier than version 9 is today. Mostly due to the fact that the majority of files that are being scanned on your system during real-time operation are DLL files and IKARUS isn't the fastest engine when it comes to scanning that particular file type. Bitdefender is a lot better when it comes to scanning those files, greatly reducing the delay during normal usage. Of course that doesn't matter if you excluded DLL files from being scanned as a lot of users do.

About the CPU spikes: Any correlation to when they happen and what you are doing? In general there will be a spike when we have to reload signatures. CPU usage will also be elevated when we actually have to scan files, which, depending on your File Guard settings, happens when new programs are starting or when files are written to disk. Especially browsers write a ton of stuff to their browser cache that we may end up scanning depending on your settings.

It continues to be available. There is a small change though: You can no longer pick the Freeware version during the licensing dialog directly. Instead you have to pick the trial version and it reverts to Freeware once the trial expired. Existing Freeware installations that update to version 9.0 using the online update won't be affected by this change though. Only new installations.

I am always flattered when people are concerned about my education. However, you are slightly mistaken. There are various regions in Norway as well as Romania, both official EU members, where Russian is an official language.

I am sorry that you think IP address location, a technique that is used by pretty much every major vendor and major website, is, to use your words, some bullshit I made up.

No, emsisoft.com is not supposedly in English. The official English homepage address is http://www.emsisoft.com/en/. If you visit http://www.emsisoft.com the server will try to figure out from where in the world you are coming from based on your IP address and redirect you to the webpage most fitting for your location. As I mentioned before, IP address location isn't 100% exact, especially in border regions. Also IP address range assignments change constantly and some people use proxies or "IP hiders" that hide their IP, so we only see the proxy server's location for example. If you send me your IP address I will see what I can do to change your IP's country allocation.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  18. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Mostly thanks to people like you who helped us out nailing down some of the more elusive bugs :).

19. Malware fighter

Seems only emsisoft makes mistake here, while other vendors somehow understands I'm not Russian - checked today bitdefender.com, avira.com. avast.com even kaspersky.com and Chinese 360safe.com understands I'm not in Russia !

Will send you later some IP's.

20. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Just checked with the website team: It's not a mistake that Lithuanian web site visitors will be redirected to the Russian website. According to Wikipedia:
    I think given those numbers it should be evident why you will get the Russian language version by default. If you feel personally offended by it, I suggest you surf to the English website directly.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay, now I do get it, but in your original post you typed EMSISOT instead of EMSISOFT. That's what I keyed on.

Pete

22. shadek

shadek Registered Member

You're too humble. :)

I have a question... is it normal to have no applications under "Application rules" when "Hide fully trusted applications" is not checked? I hope it's okay if I post a screenshot of the beta version in public.

Untitled.png

23. Malware fighter

Well if you don't understand the issue and for you wikipedia is official benchmark( maybe you check virus signatures there as well :D), I have to run from emsisoft as far as possible.
    P.S. Come visit us and try to speak Russian to any of our young people less than 30 years old - from surprised faces you will understand which language they speak. Seniors which speak Russian don't use computers much though. So I better stick to Malwarebytes. Emsisoft - uninstalled. Good luck !
    P.P.S. So your redirection mechanism depends on Wikipedia database regarding used language in country, not IP, as you stated before ? You lied ? :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  24. siketa

siketa Registered Member

@shadek: I reported this too and got reply that it is by design.
    ;)

25. Malware fighter

OK :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.