Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.xx Sammelthread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mops21, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iammike

iammike Registered Member

I agree completely with this, normally when I turned on my PC, EAM was busy downloading new updates for 3-5 (or more) minutes, and now 30-40 seconds.

:thumb: :thumb: 's up !!

Edit: // To show my appreciation I just bought a 3 year renewal license !

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. anon

anon Registered Member

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.0 reduces memory usage, improves cleaning engine

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Will there be an update of EEK soon, or are their development cycles totally different?

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just installed the trial version while waiting for my copy/serial to arrive. After a few reboots, I always do that for any major software or drivers. And after a quick update & a Quick Scan. Then another reboot & a Deep Scan. I really like this AV. Paired it with Online Armor Free.

It's replaced Roboscan which I liked. Initial reaction is I like EAM better. Went for this for the same reason I used Roboscan. Because I like having the BD engine without BD problems.

Very nice Emsisoft.

5. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

It is already in testing. We expect the release for next week.

6. online_armor

online_armor Registered Member

what about online armor ?
    for about 1 year nothing new ?

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Just a quick shout out to Fabian for assistance provided by PM to help with some of the issues I was experiencing following the update to the current version. :thumb: :cool:

9. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Fabian : Are you able to give us an ETA for v9, if not, do you know if it will be available (at least BETA) before 2014 ?

Can you tell us some of the new things coming out regarding detection / protection ?

thanks

10. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I'm fairly sure it's about a year from now ;)

11. markusg

markusg Registered Member

version 8 is out since 2 days and you asking for version 9? :d

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Well, they should have a roadmap, right?

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

14. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Hey Fabian is the one who mentioned it so soon :argh:

15. itman

itman Registered Member

Anyone test out ver. 8 Surf Protection? What does it give me that WOT does not? I don't want to activate it to find it's just another version of NIS 2013 safe search which I consider worthless. I am not a big fan of AV "community based" web reputation scanners.

-EDIT - Not against cookies it appears: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/11711-surf-protection/. Not surprised by this. Most AV web scanners are useless when it comes to cookies. Appears the off-line scanner catches them. Personally, I only use session cookies and everything in the browser is cleared at browser shutdown.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Re: Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.0 released

I fully understand and we have all been in that seat at some point in life, but only because BD, Avast etc etc are providing Free version of their products doesn't mean that all vendors need to have a Free version to offer, plus it's not like there are few Free AV options available today quite the opposite I would say. Besides if you're using Ubuntu then there's little need for an AV/AM on that OS today. :)

17. itman

itman Registered Member

In reality, there is a free version of EAM that you can download from the Emsisoft web site. It's the same as the paid version minus the realtime protection. Also a few other features are missing such as the ability to schedule scans plus auto updating. No big deal there since you can create your own using WIN 7scheduled task manager.

One thing I did not like about the free version was that it always downloaded full signature database updates which was an "eater" of bandwidth while in process. Don't know if this applies to the current version or not.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Exactly, now Fabian owe us some details!

19. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Sorry, we don't give ETAs unless we are absolutely certain.

It will be at least as good as the current version ;).

We usually are bit a faster than that actually with various smaller releases in between (8.1, 8.2 etc.).

We do have a roadmap. What is on it is just not ready for the public yet.

Yes, it will.

It is not reputation based. The list of blocked hosts is maintained by our research team.

The Surf Protection is not a web scanner. It's an IP and domain blocker. It is effective against tracking cookies as well, if you enable blocking of "Privacy Risks" which isn't enabled by default if I remember correctly.

Updates are handled exactly the same in both versions. There are no differences between free and paid at all. The reason why in the past you may have had to download a full database is because IKARUS only allowed differential updates from the last 50 database revisions. Free users update a lot less frequently, as there are no automatic updates, so the chance that they missed 50 updates was a lot higher than with the paid version. But the same thing would have happened if you missed 50 updates with the paid version.

20. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Fabian Wosar [Development]:
    Refer

..Well, we have just arrived at v8 final for EAM,,,,,,,,

now really hanging out to use the new OA with the new EAM as a complete "sweet" :D

LOL.

-cheers,
    feandur

21. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

Not sure if this has ever been mentioned before but the color scheme could be improved. The bright blue is great but the writing is so small on the tabs and else where. Using (grey writing on a white back ground) doesn't help either...The layout is nice but for me I would like to see the program stand out and not have to squint my eyes to see it. Or maybe just old age creeping in...lol

22. itman

itman Registered Member

Looks like Trusteer Rapport doesn't like Guard's:

- Function connect
    - Create Process Internal W

And is blocking both of those. I am getting a lot of log entries in Rapport from these two.

Since there is no way of excluding processes from Rapport's Browser Process Alteration blocking feature, I guess I will just disable it?

I don't want Rapport blocking important Guard functions.

Fabian, any ideas?

BTW - I am also running EMET 3.0 but I am sure the above blocks are being caused by EAM's Guard or possibly Surf Protection

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  23. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Both functions aren't important in the context of your browser. So you can safely ignore it if Rapport prevents EAM from hooking them.

24. itman

itman Registered Member

OK ...........

After posting, things took a turn for the worse. PC totally locked up. A2Guard or possibly the other EAM service spiked to 1GB! of memory usage. I have temporarily stopped Trusteer from running and so far no further problems. Will start Trusteer and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

25. itman

itman Registered Member

How do you create multiple scheduled scans? Or can you do that?

I want to run a Smart scan daily at 5 PM. I also want to run a Custom scan at 7 PM Friday once a week.

I have created and saved a scan profile for the Custom scan. However that appears to be independent of the scheduling process.

I don't see any save option once scheduled scan parameters are set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.