Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.xx Sammelthread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mops21, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I was wondering about that too.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I dont think EAM uses Photon technology.
    Bitdefender only licenses their engine + signatures and Photon doesnt seems to be integrated in the engine, seems more like a new "Cloud" assisted file reputation module.

Emsisoft already have their own file reputation module integrated into EAM (Mamutu, keep in mind that they do not work the same way).

OA used to have a similar module called OASIS but i dont know if Emsisoft removed it or they integrated OASIS database with their own.

BTW, im loving EAM v8 . . . they finally fixed the slow updates, now its faster than most AV's i've tried!
    The updates are sooooooooooo much better.

3. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Nice update indeed.
    Congrats Fabian and all staff.
    Onwards and upwards towards the big 9

4. ZeroDay

Thanks Noob.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

If so, no one would buy the paid version.o_O

Emsisoft has a different marketing model than Avast, AVG, etc.

I just puchased my copy for less than $0 at Newegg last week. Paid $10 - $10 Newegg rebate and also received a free Toshiba flash drive. Even factoring in 3 day shipping, I figure Emsisoft paid me to use the full version of Anti-malware.:D

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Re: Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.0 released

Why? o_O
    Softwares you like are worth paying for, great companys are worth supporting, good softwares don't grow on trees :)

7. ZeroDay

:thumb:

8. m0unds

m0unds Guest

undoubtedly, that's part of the goal

i'd guess EAM doesn't, since it's likely not a part of the BD SDK. emsisoft has their own backend for that sort of stuff.

9. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Everyone, thanks for the great info.

Has anyone noticed what the improvements are to the GUI?

10. ZeroDay

I tried it earlier and nothing screamed out at me, so who knows.

11. guest

guest Guest

Emsisoft's signature side is very good. Also it is very light and stable.
    But they need some new tools, i think.
    v5 to v6 and v6 to v7 was quantum leap. I cant say that for v7 to v8. It is better of course.

signature side shining but mamutu(their bb blocker) doesnt.
    I think Mamutu must significantly better, we must talk about emsisoft behaviour blocker and it's effectiveness.

Also modern security softwares has some new generation tools.
    Sandbox analysis (Avast), Banking mode (Avast, Bitdefender, KIS), HIPS (KIS), Cloud (I know Emsisoft has some cloud ability but it is not like others, webroot example)

Maybe they think to add some new tools.
    it is already light,
    it is already stable,
    it has already very good signature database

for v9, we need some innovations :)

12. markusg

markusg Registered Member

cloud, why, have a look on av-comparatives, results are good enough without.
    only 1 missed sample from behaviour blocker.
    webroot's not so...
    Sandbox, sounds good.
    banking mode, has online Armor .
    hips, is already inclouded.
    i think its useless to add more and more stuff an user perhaps not realy need, the product is, in post things ok for me.

13. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Re-Installed EAM...can't believe how stable and nimble and light it is...nice job Fabian and all Emsisoftians...now to add OA...wouldn't that be Sweet or Suite...V9...will be Sublime! Lol! Sincerely...Securon

14. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Forgive me, i by no way mean to cheat a company out of cash but for a poor man such as myself any expendature on software that i could use for fred is unacceptable. I would like to support these companies the best way i can (by using their product free or not).and besides.being poor, i believe in the ubuntu philosophy.

15. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

We made a few other slight adjustments. Adding the ability to sort by certain columns in some dialogs for example. Nothing major really which is why it is only mentioned at the very end.

Actually, the simultaneous connections will increase memory and CPU usage during the update download, simply because it increases the amount of network through put and more data quicker means more resource usage in general. That being said, we completely reworked how the update works internally. Which is actually the reason why it is so much more snappy now. We are leveraging our behavior blocker technology now to keep track of the status of our own files. That means during an update we no longer need to verify the status of all the several hundred program and signature files that make up an Emsisoft Anti-Malware installation. As a result we can safely skip reading and hashing a few hundred MB of data during each update, which makes a huge difference, especially on systems with mechanical hard disks. On average EAM took about 20 seconds to match the list of updates with the list of local files. This usually takes less than a second now.

No, we don't. However, we have been using a similar technology called "Smart Cache" for a while now.

OASIS has been discontinued. We essentially integrated all OASIS data into the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network and all Online Armor installation have been using the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network for over a year now.

Glad you like it :). Update speed was one of the complaints we heard the most which is why we decided to essentially revamp the way updates work both in the client application as well as on the server backends. We have similar plans for some other areas that are often criticized like cleaning (the first iteration of the new cleaning engine is already in place, but we won't stop there) as well as real time resource usage.

Oh, and there still is that ominous Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9.0 version ;).

Thank you for your kind words, NSG001. I will make it sure everyone in our company will read them.

It is true that the changes are a lot less visible in 8.0. That doesn't mean though that they are less significant.

Which would no longer be the case if we added every new buzzword hipster feature other companies brag about.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  16. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

You are aware of our referral program, right?

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec111020/

17. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Thanks for the details, Fabian. Much appreciated.

Earlier in this topic it was mentioned to add banking protection to EAM. A couple months ago I asked the question regarding banking protection at the Emsi forum but never followed up with it. Would you mind explaining the banking protection that EAM offers?

Code:
    http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/11225-question-regarding-man-in-the-browser-attack/

18. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

There is not much to it really: We simply don't allow malware to hijack the browser process. A much saner approach than trying to detect a hijacked browser like most of the "bank guards" nowadays do and, if you take a look at the MRG results, it seems to be a more effective approach as well.

19. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I noticed this change to with EAM, recently. Must be new with Version 8.

ScreenShot_EAM_program change_01.jpg

20. itman

itman Registered Member

Speaking of bank security, any known issues with EAM and Trusteer Rapport?

21. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Yes, that is one of the new components used by the new cleaning engine. It is used to protect changes made by Emsisoft Anti-Malware during the removal process from being reverted by malware until the next reboot.

I looked through our bug tracking and support systems and there are no reported conflicts.

22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation. :thumb:

23. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Reinstalled a clean version of EAM 8. Installation went smoothly and all was well until I decided to reboot. After reboot I couldn't get Task Manager to load or access any other function.
    Did hard reset.

After reboot, when I was able to get the GUI loaded I deselected "Activate memory usage optimization" and rebooted again.

This time things are somewhat better but the jury is still out. (Fingers crossed.)

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im still waiting for details! :D

25. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is awesome ! Now with faster updates it is top tier for sure.

Too bad it doesnt play well with my machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.