Emsisoft Anti Malware 7.xx Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mops21, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

01. I think that EAM automaticaly detect how much CPU you have, it's up to you if you wish EAM to use all CPU or just one.

02. More threads faster scan (but maybe more CPU/MEM usage)
    If you choose 3 then it's 3 at same time (i think :doubt: )

If you want fast scan select HIGH but uses more CPU/MEM (other apps will stutter...probably...) best to use when you don't do anything on PC

All this is not 100% sure, It is all just my opinion.
    Let the team from Emsisoft comment.

2. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay I think I got it. Thanks a lot.:thumb:

4. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

I've recently started having issues with this combo when the new Online Armor was released. Deep scans on this old desktop, P4 3.2 GHz 2.25 GB of ram, causes the whole PC to freeze and can only fixed using the power button.

I started a thread yesterday in the EAM support forum.
    http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/9495-eam-7-is-constantly-locking-up-when-performing-a-deep-scan/

Running a command deep scan works well with no issues, and setting the performance setting to idle also works. But in every other setting my CPU will hit 100% from time to time and causes the whole PC to freeze up.

Also running a deep scan in the normal setting with Online Armor shut down also worked. Never had this issue before on this PC before Online Armor 6 was released.

5. gugarci

In case some of you guys are interested after doing many more test yesterday I came to the conclusion is that the new version of Online Armor causes EAM 7 to lock my old up Win XP Pro SP3 P4 3.20 GHZ PC, if I perform a scan with Online Armor running. I also have a newer laptop with Win 7 Pro x64 i7, with both of these software running and I don't have any issues running scan in my laptop.

In order for me to do a successful smart or deep scan with this combo on my my old desktop I have to completely shut down, or turn off all the Online Armor components with the GUI running.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The only negative thing i have to say about EAM is the scan speeds.The deep scan takes an eternity to complete.Other than that EAM is an excellent addition to anybody,s computer.:thumb: :thumb:

7. gugarci

I would also like to see someone from Emsisoft explain the performance settings. Nothing in their help files mentions this. And anyone who uses EAM on an older slower PC will benefits from tweaking these settings.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I usually run an On Demand scan every 2 weeks or once a month, the last time i scanned my PC with EAM was just a couple days ago. (The previous full scan was done on August, it was like 50 days before this one)

I used custom scan and checked every single option except "Use File Extension List" and scanned 3 partitions on my desktop with 171GB of files and it took 54 minutes with 40 second. During the time of the scan i did not use the PC so EAM could do it as fast as possible.
    I'm not sure if it's fast or not but i'm just telling you guys so you can use it as a reference. :)

9. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Sections 2.1.4 in the (English) help file explains all options. I am not sure if other language versions have been updated yet.

10. gugarci

Sorry I missed that, and I'm embarrassed to say it was staring me right in the face. :eek:

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Just upgraded my PC to an Intel Q8200 and maxed out performance settings to see if there is any difference at all in scanning times, it was only 6 minutes faster than my old Intel E2180. Seems like the bottleneck could be the HDD instead of the CPU. :D

12. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

It is on most systems. Even with a state of the art SSD (OCZ Vertex 4) like in my workstation I don't manage to completely use my CPU (Intel i7-2700k) to capacity.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice SSD there, i want oneee hahahaha . . . :p :eek:

14. joffy

joffy Registered Member

I installed the trial for Emsisoft Internet Security Pack and found I was unable to launch any games in Steam. No errors or messages, just nothing happens. Tried allowing the game exe files, steam etc, disabled EISP, but still couldn't get games to run to run.

Uninstalled the trial, rebooted and now the games run ok.
    o_O

15. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I guess its not compatible with Steam. Some security applications and games simply don't like each other. You can turn the former off when you play them.

16. joffy

joffy Registered Member

That's the thing, I did disable it and still it would not work!

17. m0unds

m0unds Guest

when i tried out OA, i had an issue where it wouldn't always trust executables/libraries for games, and would often cause crashes. i manually trusted all the game-related files within the OA programs (i think) dialog, and that fixed the issues i was having with BF3 and Tribes Ascend's launcher.

as a rule, i also exclude my steamapps and other game directories from on-access scanning, supplementing it with occasional on-demand scans.

i like the amount of protection the combination of EAM and OA provides, but i'm not a huge fan of the hit on usability of the machine

18. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

I've got the Emsisoft Internet Security pack on my computer and steam runs fine when playing Skyrim.

Perhaps remove some of the rules in the firewall so you can re-allow them again?

19. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit 3.0.0.1 BETA (with Beta updates enabled):

- Completely new second scan engine from BitDefender (B) with even more efficient scans and greater detection rate.
    - Significantly less false alerts as they were usually caused by the former second scan engine.
    - Improved first scan engine (A) now runs faster than ever.
    - New performance settings for experts to configure the CPU use of the scanner.
    - Optimized malware cleaning to be able to restore registry entries that were affected by malware.
    - Faster online updates via smaller incremental downloads. This means hourly updates are ready for use without delay.
    - Improved user interface which is easy to understand, even for beginners.

DOWNLOAD is more than 300MB! :mad:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  20. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

Running version 7,when checking my scan logs I see that it's showing that I have detect riskware off. That's seems odd I have it turned on. Also what do you have to turn on to scan archives and also direct disk access? File extension filter shows that's it's turned off even when on. Any body else seeing this on there scan logs? tx

21. m0unds

m0unds Guest

you can set some of those parameters in a custom scan.

22. Ripcord

Thank you for the help.. I appreciate it.:thumb:

23. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

24. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Does anyone know if EAM 7 advanced cache is working for File Guard?
    I think there is a problem with my copy because EAM scan some programs again and again making the startup of these programs a little slowly.

EAM uses 20 ~ 25 % of my I5 2500 during some programs startups ( like firefox). Its not a problem but after some time if a close firefox ( just a example) and reopen it , EAM will scan it again making a perceptible slowdown.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  25. Ripcord

What files from OA do you add to EAM application rules? I assume (mode)
    is exclude. Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.