Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0.0.81

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by subratam, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geko

geko Registered Member

Good to know.

Until then, I'm staying away from Emsisoft Antimalware Freemode.

geko.

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi subratam bro,
    Although deep scan does not use heuristics, I have seen detection like suspectCrc!IK in deep scan. Does that mean in deep scan Ikarus heuristic is being used and not Emsisoft's?

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Thanks you for your answer :)

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Ikarus uses a kind of signature which reports back when there is a match of common section/fragment among different files. Not exactly heuristic per say. Thats why those detections surface when encountered

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Ohh now I get it..:)

6. gery

gery Registered Member

can someone please give me a clue on how much ram exactly this software uses? possibly with a little screenie
    i always had problems in the past ( i am talking about the paid version) and a good firewall that EAM goes along without probs
    thanx in advance
    Gery

7. subratam

Hi Gery,

I have attached a screenshot of usage of CPU and memory while running a deep scan. Its a regular laptop with 2 gig ram and core 2 processor.

A good firewall or a complete suite(included EAM), have you looked at http://www.online-armor.com/products-online-armor-plus-plus.php . Check that, and you have an option to go for the free or paid, depending upon features needed.

Regards

Attached Files:

8. gery

gery Registered Member

thanx a lot subratam for taking the time to show me the screenie

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

subratam culd u also show the IO usage? and does emsisoft have any sort of file caching/fingerprinting technology working for both its realtime and/or ondemand scans?

10. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

I wonder if they are doing the same as SAS and hiding resource usage @kernel level.

Had a good lol when SAS produced a ledgendary drop in observable memory use about a year or so ago.Ironically at the same time there was the mysterious growth in Pagefile.sys simultaneously (smoke and mirrors 101).

Without stating the obvious but most security software if thus inclined can use drivers capable of filtering resource usage results displayed by tools as well as other nifty tricks to conceal true resource usage.

This boils down to the sofware developers is that not right subratam ?

Cant find it at the moment but there is an archived topic here at Wilders where Nick S(a very talented developer) stated that all things are possible when it comes to cooking the books on reported resource usage.

Ultimatly discounting incompatability issues the only true way to judge resource usage is to observe whether something slows your computer down.This is always clear indication of the performance hit:thumb:

Everything else is open to subversion ;)

11. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Would that be Nick Skrepetos perhaps? From SAS/SUPERAntispyware? ;)

12. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

13. firzen771

personally i really couldn't care less about RAM usage, my biggest concern is disk IO usage and CPU after that

14. subratam

Sorry for delayed response.
    I have attached a screenshot for resource usage, again similar system as mentioned in my previous post. A deep scan was running, and also the guard was being used.
    Regarding few questions asked here, I will try to explain as much I am allowed to say.
    We extensively use caching mechanisms and also whitelists, which again helps in future decision making during scan/alerts etc.
    About kernel usage, memory that is used by kernel modules is never displayed in task manager. Emsisoft uses kernel modules similar to all other reputable antivirus products. It is normal that a significant amount of total used memory is not "visible".
    To free as much RAM as possible for other programs that have higher priority on a system, parts of the loaded code are moved to the pagefile.
    I hope this was helpful. :)

Regards

Attached Files:

15. firzen771

hmm in ur first screenshot, i wonder why A2Guard is a 32bit process... shouldnt it be an x64 process for x64 systems?

16. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Well...real world example Intel Pentium e5200 + 2gb DDR2 800 Corsair + Samsung 1Tb F1 + Win7 32bit....with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium (nothing else in real time) and yes you feel it it's there. I have tried several antiviruses these last months and I've found Emsisoft's product the heaviest...although absolutely effective and a great tool. Other issues...heavy update mechanism...alerts some times freezing for some seconds...randomly windows alerts for closed AV, specially after signatures updates and login ( but that is a minor issue and a false alarm ).

17. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

What is better, OA ++ or EAM + OA Premium?

18. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Performance wise: OA++
    Features and protection wise: EAM + OA Premium

If you have a pc with enough power EAM + OA Premium is a perfect combination.

19. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Only certain drivers need to be 64bit and signed to make the application 64bit compatible. No need for everything to be 64bit.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Working without a single flaw here V5.0.0.83 :thumb: :thumb:

21. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thank you for the reply, just with my question! :thumb:

Sorry to all the off-topic. :oops:

22. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

Just installed EAM 1-year license.

any possible conflict with spyshelter free ? :doubt: I've been thinking to add SS Free in my setup for laptop.

23. subratam

Not any reported or known of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.