Emsisoft A-Squared Free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by John Bull, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

this is one of the best threads i have seen at wilders for quite a while. with just enough "moisture" and "aroma" to push the envelope.

where my wife works, kids are allowed to use the computers. my wife was given one of these computers. it was horribly infected.

i had an assortment of antimalware type programs available. adaware, asquared free, malwarebytes, superantispyware, and spybot.
    the only one that would scan at this time was asquared free. the others would not even scan. it was a while ago and i can't remember why. asquared free found hundereds of objects. after that i was able to scan with the others, but it takes that one scanner to crack the hard shell. i was eventually able to completely clean the computer. it was even verified by a hijackthis analyst.

i don't care if it's the emergency kit that i have to have now or the antimalware program, i will have the emsisoft equivalent to asquared free if it's available to me. i certainly have benefitted from their software.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I stopped the autorun of a2guard.exe using AutoRuns with no ill effects so far. Don't try to disable the Emsisoft service however.

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Well I never ! After dumping A-Squared due to their new AM feature which I do not want together with the fee and Nagware that goes with it, I discovered this Emsisoft Emergency Kit 1.0 :-
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

I downloaded it and it appears to rely on a number of files and no software is installed. It is a stand alone job. There is my icon sitting on the Desktop, I click it, get the panel up, click RUN and up comes this EEK It is exactly the same as my old A-Squared Free, not a scrap of difference. It updates and scans just the same and I do not have the problem of the AM stuff, fee or Nagware.

End of story - I have my A-Squared Free back as it always was.

John B

4. progress

progress Guest

I agree, Emergency Kit is a-squared free with 102 mb :rolleyes:

5. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

it's worthless to try and please a user like you then, it's a portable on demand scanner with amazing detection, for free, it isn't an installer and yet people complain about the download size :rolleyes:

6. John Bull

I have no idea what sort of "Doc" you are, but obviously not a "Doc" in civil behaviour.

Perhaps if you take the trouble to read all the threads I have taken part in, you just may begin to appreciate that there are a GREAT NUMBER of people on this Forum who have helped me tremendously, for which I have always thanked them sincerely.
    You obviously have something lacking.

Not to worry - You are now on my ignore list, have a nice day.

John B

7. dirsweld

dirsweld Registered Member

I don't believe he was addressing you in that post, Mr Bull.

8. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

guess John didn't notice the post directly above mine that I was responding to, LOL

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I know the topic as changed a bit but I got a question for one of the Emisoft staff, I understand that A-Squared is now Emsisoft Antimalware but now requires you to register for a free license key to the free version. Why change from how A-Squared Free was where it was download, update, and use? I really liked it that way, I do not mind registering but make it optional and without a trial for the PRO which can conflict with AV's (from how I read the announcement it said Emsisoft Pro is now with it till you register for the free key?).

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Keep this up for no good reason & you will soon have the forum all to yourself. ;)

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

john behave man:D

12. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

i agree with ibrad. it's no big deal to register. i was already a member of their website. i had to hunt down my username and password and i was in. i got the antimalware version. i don't think i got the pro version. i don't see pro anywhere. i'm pretty sure it's the free version.
    even if you're not a member, go ahead and register. it's a company that's been around for a long time and will continue to be around for a long time. it's worth it.

what i've been reading on here, they give you two excellent alternatives to choose from. either register and get the antimalware version or get the emergency kit that doesn't even need to be installed. i think it's really good of them.

13. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0 (beta updates enabled):

* Freeware license option in setup wizard added.
    * Freeware use without user account registration added.
    * Several minor licensing bugfixes.

14. Get

Get Registered Member

I got migraine when reading this topic:eek: literally, so I switched to reading some of it and this post made me laugh:D. Thx:) . Not having read everything I just want to say this: Emergency Kit = A2free standalone which is great and made me very happy, because I thought a2free was gone. The size doesn't matter, because you can place it on whatever drive you want. Now i'm gonna lie downo_O .

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

So what happens when your pro version expires, and you choose not renew? I have dropped to 3 day trial mode which extends the expiry date.

I am registered, so conceivably if I do not purchase the software, it should revert to the free version. After all, they have my registered details.

I don't want to have to download a new exe file. That, really would p*** me off. ;) :(

P.S. I am waiting for this ephemeral discount! ...mentioned here > Softpedia discounts! > https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=277717

Perhaps, I shouldn't hold my breath.

Edit: Added P.S.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Very nice explanation emsisoft. Thanks for great info. Although I was not 100 % sure about cloud security working methodology, but I preferred to avoided it and choose classic scanning approach for great security (without live internet connection 24 x 7 x 365).

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Great news! I am going to try this out soon (the free version).

18. progress

progress Guest

It's too late now, you are on his ignore list Mr. Doc :D

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

HAHAHA yeah, that's why we quote sometimes :D

20. John Bull

I have been made aware that my post No.56 towards doc77 was apparently subject to mistaken identity, I have PM`d him with my sincere apologies, which I also extend to the Forum and other readers.

John B

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  21. dirsweld

dirsweld Registered Member

Well done, Mr Bull! Always good to see a man take responsibility, even if it is for 'mistaken identity', rather than for the reaction itself.;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Apparently, it does revert to freeware mode, after all, as per screenshot.

P.S. I just click on Get 30 more days to test, and I am away...hopefully that 'special' I mentioned above earlier will materialize. ;)

Attached Files:

23. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Hey thanks Tarnak. Didn't notice the 30 extra days. Surely we'll get the promised special offer in that time. :doubt: Maybe?

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, so its 60 days trial? xD

25. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

I wish...but I took the 3 days trial, offered initially, instead of the 30 days.

So, it is 3 days + 30 days for a total of 33 days. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.