Emsisof Emegency Kit Scanner or MBAM (On Demand only)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yongsua, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Emsisoft Emegency Kit Scanner or MBAM (On Demand only)

Which is better on demand scanner?Emsisoft or MBAM?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Re: Emsisoft or MBAM

Although they both are excellent products for the job.I think Emsisoft has more detection capability( it has more signatures and is an anti virus). whereas MBAM detects what anti virus software's miss and is not an anti virus.
    I dont think its fair or wise to compare them.I use both.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Taken strictly from a convenience standpoint, I have found EEK (Emsisoft Emergency Kit) to be a great big PITA to use. Perhaps installing Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 and not running it on-access is a whole different ballgame, but after wrestling with false positives from that company a few years ago, I have always been reluctant to return to the fold. EEK takes forever to update and scanning always seemed sluggish to me. MBAM, otoh, is a breeze to use.

brainrb1 probably makes a good point about the detection edge going to Emsisoft, but that is difficult to quantify. MBAM has a terrific reputation among malware cleaners, and so I let that fact influence me when I opt to have MBAM update once a day and scan my computers every morning at 3 a.m. I used to run its resident protection module, but finally determined that I have enough layers watching over me. I guess I just have greater confidence in MBAM... but that confidence does come in part from having a couple other security apps that carry the weight.

So I say MBAM is the better of the two (for me and my set up)... for the reasons I gave.

4. yongsua

I saw you are using Prevx.Is prevx reliable?May I know its safe online will slow down your browsing or not?May I use it with ESET?Is it enough for my 1 gb memory ram?

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

They are both good but comparing these two is like comparing apples with pears. However they can complement eachother.

Gerard

6. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Agree, for me its like cereal and orange juice
    That's why I buy EAM and use malwarebytes as on demand.

As for emsisoft emergency kit, I just love the portable option, so its a plus

Ps : u can trust me, our avatar is identic LOL

7. gery

gery Registered Member

well it sounds like comparing a Mercedes Benz and a Ferrari Testarosa . Both are exellent but both have different approaches and qualities . MBAM does not cover viruses but Emsisoft does . First update of Emsisoft might take longer because it has a very large database to download while MBAM only downloads 5 megabytes. Scaning with MBAM only takes a few minutes as it only scans and looks for a smaller amount of malware in general (excluding viruses) while Emsisoft does take longer for the opposite reason. They both are on demand scanners but Emsisoft will take up some memory because of two services it uses to do certain tasks. Detection and result will be different.
    Gery

8. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Although it is not easy to compare which one sees more bad stuff but when it comes to the actual removal part MBAM has built a reputation for itself which has only been rivaled by HMP in recent times.

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Emsisoft or MBAM

Emsisoft.

10. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

I think I've to use MBAM... coz Emsisoft size is huge (imagined a 103.6 MB just for an antispyware...yucks!!!)...aside from that it has many features in it that I dont need cz already was installed on my pc. :p

Maybe a make a poll of this on the poll section. :cool:

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like MBAM.

12. gerardwil

If you think Emsisoft is just an antispyware then you better dream on.

Gerard

13. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I think regardless of the size or likes and dislikes the 'better on demand scanner' is Emsisoft because of the size and number of signatures it has plus it has virus detecting capabilities and does have a more thorough scanner even though the scan takes a lot of time but if i am infected..... first i would use Malwarebytes and Emsisoft later.

14. gerardwil

A warning to some of you, do not think you are safe at all times by just having MBAM installed and rely on it when doing an on demand scan once infected. There are infections you can't run MBAM anymore at all (as other antimalware products as well). The best thing you can hope for then is installing a random named MBAM copy.

Gerard

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hello yongsua,
    Yes, I think Prevx is reliable.
    I don't run SafeOnline (I installed Prevx without it), as I have heard there are conflicts with Sandboxie, plus I would only need it for loggers and I believe OA's HIPS has me covered there. I also have Sandboxie configured to restrict what has internet and start/run access, which is pretty good defense against loggers.

Prevx doesn't slow my browsing.

I am sure it works well with ESET, but I have no personal experience with that program.

The ram question is hard to answer as there are so many other variables that come into play. But as a general rule, I'd say that Prevx is quite light, if that is what you are wondering.

HTH :)

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

If you want protection against malwares (all types including virus, worms, rouges, Trojans, adware, spywares, hijackers, rootkits, etc.), then choose Emsisoft. If you want protection against common/missed malwares (mostly zero day threats like rouges, Trojans, rootkits), then choose MBAM.

17. yongsua

I like this response the most.Thanks,Boyfriend but I also need to thanks to others.:D

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

You are welcome yongsua :)

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

20. yongsua

21. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

O.K. I run both scanners but EEK seems to be more comprehensive as stated by the above responses.

22. yongsua

Sorry,I don't know how to change the title of the topic so I announce the title from here:

"Emsisoft Emegency Kit Scanner or MBAM (On Demand only)"

23. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I run both. They are both good products.

I usually run Full scans with MBAM more often than Emisoft Emergency Kit mainly because MBAM is faster than Emsisoft Emergency Kit. I usually run Quick scans with Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

24. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

... :D

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Why not both?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.