EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by luciddream, Apr 1, 2013.

1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

3. controler

controler Guest

Installed on Win 8.1 64 and now can not access Internet explorer with default settings.

4. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Installed EMET 5.1 on Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9860 64-bit. Working great here.

Added EAF+ module for Google Chrome:
    Code:
    chrome_child.dll

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

No problem in my case. IE works normally, 8.1 Pro Update x64.

6. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thank you very much.

Everyone using Internet Explorer 11 with EMET 5.0,
    please note this part of that TechNet Blogs article:
    The November updates are less than a day away, so for everyone using Internet Explorer 11 with EMET 5.0 this is particularly important information.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Can't run Firefox with default settings. It could be any of the add-ons though...

8. badsector

badsector Registered Member

should i remove 5.0 after installing 5.1??

9. 59er

59er Registered Member

Works great with Windows 7 32-bit.

For Windows XP Pro SP3 the party is over for this pc. EMET 5.0 worked just fine. For 5.1, it works, but with a bug. Every application that is added results in error message when opening each app. The message goes away when clicking ok, or X-close, then the applications open normally. Error message: 'Entry Point Not Found', The procedure entry point fopen_s could not be found in the dynamic library msucrr.dll. Tried various configurations with the same result.
    Uninstalled 5.1 and reinstalled 5.0. All is good, expected issues sooner or later.

Note: Keep your 5.0 installer if for any reason you want, or need, to re-install it. 5.0 downloads have disappeared from Microsoft and other regular sites (Softpedia shows 5.0.5324 but downloads 5.1, DownloadCrew's 5.0 link is now no good.)

Cheers!

10. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

From download page
    They dropped the XP support.

11. 59er

59er Registered Member

Yes, this is known. Officially, support was dropped for 5.0 as well, but it still worked just fine. I posted for the curious. Results for other XP users may vary. This site (Winhelp: https://www.winhelp.us/microsoft-emet.html) says 5.1 works with XP. Cheers!

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I installed 5.1 on one W7 x64 machine, default settings, and now I have high CPU usage for around 15 seconds or so before Firefox finally opens.

13. Stupendous Man

There should be no need to remove EMET 5.0 before or after installing EMET 5.1.
    Did you find EMET 5.0 remnants after installing EMET 5.1?

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would always remove it first. It puts itself in a folder with the version number. You could probably put it in a different folder, but I doubt most people do.

15. Stupendous Man

Yes, I do that, too.
    But for who doesn't, there shouldn't be an issue, as the EMET installer will automatically uninstall the previous version before installing the new version.

16. badsector

badsector Registered Member

ohh I didn't know that... 5.0 was my first install so I didn't it was all automated from the installer... thanks...

17. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

18. WildByDesign

19. WildByDesign

Application compatibility list has been updated for EMET 5.1: Link

Or view attached compatibility list in Spoiler below:

emetcompatibility.jpg

20. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I installed on top of the 5.0. As a new feature I noticed EAF+ to Chrome. Firefox starts as slow as in 5.1. Because of EAF+.
    I imported first my 5.0 settings and after that Popular Software and then Recommended Software based on dates.
    Will see and post if any problems.

21. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

Installed 5.1 over 5.0 which worked fine.
    Imported the "recommended software" rules and BAM.. Internet Explorer won't start.

I find it funny how their UPDATED standard rules won't even work with their own programs.

Now I will remove all the rules again and import my old v5 rule set (luckily I exported the rules before I installed v5.1). And again I am not sure which of my ~50 to 100 rules will work fine or could be confígured with "more security options" now as the 5.1 update should have fixed some mitigations (but probably didn't anyway).

A "process compatibility" overview would be still nice; basically a website listening all kind of process files and their working mitigations (added/uploaded by the users).

22. WildByDesign

Internet Explorer is completely destroyed in mine as well. It's funny because they just said they fixed it.

23. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

With and without IE 'Enhanced Protected Mode'. With EMET 5.1 'Use Recommended Settings', or using my previous EMET 5.0 exports. Since having installed EMET 5.1 couple of days ago, no problems with launching Internet Explorer 11 and browsing the web.

I did uninstall EMET 5.0 firstly, but from what is said, this shouldn't matter.

However yesterday there was Windows updates. One I can remember that was an Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer that mentions about EMET.

MS14-065: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: November 11, 2014

Known issues
    After you install this security update, Internet Explorer may crash when you use Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 5.0. This issue affects Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1 systems. To resolve this issue, install EMET 5.1, or temporarily disable the EAF+ mitigation for Internet Explorer 11.

... I should mention that I'm running Windows 7 x64.

24. JohnnyTrevor

JohnnyTrevor Suspended Member

Anybody got an EMET 5.0 installer to share?

25. WildByDesign

Here: Link

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.