EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by luciddream, Apr 1, 2013.

1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

You can check DEP and ASLR status on processes using ProcessExplorer(be sure to run as admin.)
    I think it's best to contact Trusteer for compatibility with EMET v4.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I think itman means with just the IE plugin.

3. itman

itman Registered Member

Thanks! Forgot about that.

4. itman

itman Registered Member

For a plug-in, it sure generates a heck of a lot of system changes. Lets say, it's a plug-in plus .........

I use Revo Uninstaller Pro to log all software installs. Below is what Revo recorded WOT did:

Attached Files:

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Can not install Emet 4.0; installer asking for Net Framework 4.0, even though I have the Client Profile for Net Framework 4.0 installed. I assume it is asking for the Web Installer; is that correct? I read the PDF guide but there is no mention of this. This question has already been asked a few times already in this thread, but no-one has answered it.
    P. S. Have 3.0 installed.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

EMET 4.0 needs the full ver. of Net 4.0 installed; not just the Client Profile install which is a "stripped down" version of Net 4.0.

I had the full version of Net 4.0 installed when I installed EMET 4.0 so I didn't have any issues. I thought EMET 4.0 installer would auto install the full ver. of Net 4.0 but I guess not? You can download the full version of Net 4.0 via WIN Updates; one of those optional updates.

7. DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR Registered Member

No you can't, with the latest versions... since the DEP status is completely broken on Windows 7 and 8! (They're fine on XP/Vista.)

The last version that works is 15.12, which you can get from FileHippo, etc.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

My version of Process Explorer is 15.5. I like the "oldies but goodies.":D

9. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Does anyone know of any conflicts between Emet and Comodo firewall with D+? Since I've installed Comodo firewall I can't launch Vlc media player I get an emet warning saying: Detected Simexecflow.

10. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I installed EMET 4.0 today. I haven't seen it phoning home but I now see that it is possible. From the User's Guide:
    On Windows 7 the checkbox to enabled/disable "Early Warning" is in the reporting section of the ribbon. On Windows XP that checkbox isn't displayed at all. In the config file the switch is called "telemetry".

11. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Is it just an IE program in that large format?

I have it for Chrome, but I have no WOT directory nor WSS.EXE file anywhere as your system shows and I am using WIndows 7 Home x64 too. I ran a search and found neither. The only WOT related files I found are under Chrome extension folder under user folders. One seems to be a text-data file and only 15.68KB and the other is a png file of 17.2KB that is the WOT logo.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Internet Explorer doesn't have true extension support. It only supports plug-ins, which are separate programs that interfaces through it.

13. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Is WOT intrusive on the O/S in Chrome?

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No, as you've already seen.

15. itman

itman Registered Member

They are formally titled "add-ons" in IE.

16. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

"Add-ons" seems to be a collective term.
    If we use firefox as an example.

It has an add-on option which in turn has different menu titles like "extensions" and "plugins"...So firefox seems to treat them as different functions altogether.
    So IE i assume will treat them in the same way.

17. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Here's such observation concerning CIS and EMET:
    - Win-7 Ultimate x64:
    -- with EMET 4.0 (System settings - Max): CIS tray icon disappears, some apps crash, if enable "Deep Hooks" or "Antidetours" or "Banned Functions" then OS freezes.
    -- with EMET 3.0 at Max - all OK

- Win-7 Prof x32: all OK with EMET 4.0 (System settings - Max) and "Deep Hooks", "Antidetours", "Banned Functions" - all are ON.

18. ance

ance formerly: fmon

It seems that EMET 4.0 causes OS freezes from time to time; on Win 7 64bit and Win 8 64bit. No problems without EMET hm ... :doubt:

19. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Notices this as well in my Windows 7 x64. After I installed EMET, there is a black screen freeze at start-up before the log-on screen is shown.(just a few seconds though)

20. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

@ fec2 and kupo

I wonder if it's an issue with EMET itself, or some incompatibility with some other security solution?

21. test

test Registered Member

EMET makes use of technology built-in to the OS (eg., DEP, ASLR, ...) so it is unlikely that the cause of the freeze is due to the program itself...

To the limit, it is more likely that the issue you record is that the program emetized crash because incompatible with some mitigations...

Sorry for my poor english

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just installed EMET 4.0 here today with very little other software, so I'll see if I get any odd things happening. If I'd known all the updates that came after .NET 4 full install, I'm not sure I would have bothered with all this.. lol...

23. ance

24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Wow... where to start.

Firstly if a mitigation is bypassed, that most certainly is not a reason to "not use any EMET at all". WTF lol... You are in no danger at all if one of EMET's mitigations is bypassed and are still protected by the rest of them. All it means is that specific mitigation is of no use.

Secondly, that article references EMET 3.5, where as v4 explicitly states that it fixes the bypasses that were possible in v3.5. Infact it was mentioned and discussed in this very thread.

25. ance

Thank you for clarifying, however I think I don't really need EMET to keep malware away from my laptop. ;) Yeah, version 4.0 might be bulletproof but I don't like OS freezes at all ... :doubt:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.