EMET and NIS 2013 Issues and Resolution

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by itman, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

First my config - WIN 7 SP1 and NIS 2013. I also have Zemana Antiloggger paid installed and will add a comment about that at the end of this post.

I installed EMET 3.5 about a week ago and immediately had slow boot issues with all the different configs. So I uninstalled EMET 3.5 and installed ver. 3.0. Same boot issues persisted.

Did some research and everything was pointing to NIS 2013 being the culprit. At this time, I had NIS 2013 boot protection set to normal. Setting boot protection to off improved things somewhat but I did not like the lack of protection. More research and found a posting in the Norton forums about setting boot protection to aggressive resolving a lot of boot conflicts with other startup software. Something along the lines that ccsvchst.exe and other realtime protections loading early plus this also allowed for earlier desktop initialization. Whalla:D that did it; no more boot hang ups. Go figure:rolleyes:

I have also seen evidence that NIS 2013 is interfering with Zemana Antilogger. So presently, I have also excluded EMET 3.0 and Zemana Antilogger from NIS 2013 realtime protections.

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I was running NIS 2012 and EMET just fine. I had turned off everything but the firewall, antivirus, and I want to say the browser protection feature. EMET was DEHOP, ASLR, and DEP on max settings. So maybe it is just a 2013 thing or maybe it worked for me with only those settings on.

EDIT: I think I remember turning boot time protection off.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013