EMET - A new Windows security mitigation toolkit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't think that locking people out is the right thing to do, even if there are security benefits.

Using the certificate system is strong enough in this case. I think it can be further refined.

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

FYI;
    For those having an issue with EMET, check after uninstall if the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EMET has actually been deleted.
    What also worked in my case was to first set EMET to 'Recommended setting' (instead of 'Maximum secruity'), then remove all application settings, reboot and only then uninstall it.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

KPP is for 64 bit Windows Vista and 7 only, although I don't know about plans for 8.

UAC was actually originally meant to, amongst other goals, to encourage developers to create software that could run with Standard user rights:

UAC's Goal

-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.06.uac.aspx

It doesn't seem to have "encouraged" that many developers yet to design their software to run with Standard user rights.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah, unfortunately for Vista most devs didn't pay attention to it for a long time and they ended up running with Admin rights when they didn't need to. That led to loooots of popups when there shouldn't have been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.