Email worm subject: Not Read (W32/Bagel?)

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Tuizner, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuizner

Tuizner Registered Member

Hi

Sorry, didnt know about your HJT philosophy. I will repost sans HJT:

I have an email worm on Outlook that is sending out mails to my contacts with the subject: "Not Read: followed by the title of a previous mail."

I have read on totalchoicehosting about the same issue but there was no resolution: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/fo...0&#entry100528

I have McAfee Security Centre with current Virus DAT version 4679 (20th Jan 06). On running, this picked up two versions of W32/Bagel.dldr and deleted them - but this did not resolve the worm.

I have also tried Stinger (did not find anything), Panda online (did not find anything) and am currently running TrendMicro's Sysclean.

I have disabled system restore.

Best regards
    Tuizner

2. Tuizner

Tuizner Registered Member

I think I have sorted the issue now :)

It seems (fingers crossed) as though it was in fact not a virus, but something to do with McAfee AntiSpam getting it's knickers in a twist. I dont know why it happened, but when McAfee Antivirus noticed I was trying to send 407 emails out it displayed a message saying so and asked if I wanted to carry on or stop the mails. Eventually I hit the "stop emails" button 407 times. This has, so far, cured the problem which hasn't recurred. I can only assume that the issue started due to McAfee AntiSpam because it's always been a bit temperamental on my Outlook 2003.

I wonder if others who had the same issue were running McAfee at the time?

3. rychelis

rychelis Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with Mcafee 8 and Outlook 2003. The problem only started once I upgraded to Outlook 2003. What did you do to fix this issue?

4. gyro

gyro Registered Member

ive also had this probelm, it seems to have replied to everyone in my inbox with an email or 50 theyve sent me with the title not read before the subject.
    im using outlook 2003 and symantec corporate antivirus.
    I think the problems started when i used a security program and accidently hid the symantec program files folder (the program i was using is magic folders).
    I have unhidden it now but its still sending out emails

Any ideas of a solution?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.