Email Update Notifications

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Manny Carvalho, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

I have NOD32 v4.2.64.12 working nicely on my Windows Home Server V1. I use email notifications to inform me of events on the server. However, recently I changed the time the server is awake which put the update schedule event at a time the server was asleep. As as consequence, no signature updates happened for a while.

While this is my fault, however, I was not informed that my signatures updates were outdated. The last time they were updated was Feb. 20.

The email alerts work whenever an update happens but apparently not when an update fails to occur. I suppose I could have realized that I wasn't getting emails but didn't but getting something affirmative is better and i can't see how this is set up.

How can I set it up to receive email alerts when I have a stale signature database?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

Hello,

Using the notification (Tools > Alerts and notifications) feature, when an event occurs an email notification will be sent, provided that the Minimum verbosity for notifications is set to Errors or above. Note that a stale signature database is not considered an event, but a failed update would trigger an event. If a failed update is not sending email notifications, make sure that your SMTP server information is correct. The following Microsoft article provides instructions for testing your SMTP communication:

Use Telnet to Test SMTP Communication
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123686.aspx

Another option is to use ESET Remote Administrator, Notification Manager feature (available for ESET business editions only). Using this feature, you can create a notification rule for clients with an outdated virus signature database. For additional information on this feature, please review the following ESET knowledgebase article:

What is the ESET Remote Administrator (ERA) Notification Manager and how does it work?
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN957

3. Manny Carvalho

Thanks. I get email notifications fine and there were no failed updates.

I was just surprised that I wasn't notified that the database was 15 days old. While I caused it by having the machine sleeping when the update was schedule, it would be nice if this was actually an event. It would be great if something positive happened rather than me having to notice that I'm no longer getting emails. I need to protect me from myself. :D

I'd rather not go with the Remote Admin as it's simple enough to manage my Home Server directly with either the console or RD.

Now that I'm aware of the issue I'll be more alert to it but it would be very beneficial for remote installs like this if a stale signature database was considered an event and a warning email sent. Perhaps that can be added to the wish list.

---
    Edit:

Reading KB SOLN731

It looks like a stale database isn't part of the verbosity in Remote Admin either:

There are several levels of verbosity that range in detail. Below is a list of the different levels of verbosity available:

Critical errors – Logs all critical errors, such as errors starting Antivirus protection and errors with the Personal firewall
    Errors – Logs all errors such as "Error downloading file." This setting includes critical errors
    Warnings – Records all critical errors, errors and warning messages
    Informative records – Logs all informative messages including successful updates, plus all records above
    Diagnostic records – Logs all information needed for fine-tuning and diagnostics plus all records above

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Your feature request has been logged and is under consideration for a future release of ESET's software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. Manny Carvalho

Thank you Aryeh. I appreciate it.

In the meanwhile I got my schedule done properly and everything is working fine. I just got remember if that daily email stops that I have to take notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.