email Scanning

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I understand that some AVs scan incoming email, and some do not. I think that Avast scans incoming POP3 mail, but Avira does not.
    I am not sure what KAV6 and F-Secure do in that regard. I use both on different machines.

The Avira users are not concerned as they say that Avira prevents the execution of the virus.
    I notice that AVG has an entry that the email has been scanned by AVG.

Is this the way it works?
    Those which scan incoming mail catch the virus before the mail gets to your computer, and prevent the infected mail from being downloaded to your email client?

Those which do not scan the emails as they come in, will alert if one attempts to open an infected message.

Is my understanding correct? A major factor in my not wanting to use Avira free is the lack of email scanning, but maybe that is not really a problem.

Several years ago I received a message from a friend whose system was infected, and the virus sent mail to everyone. I was using Bit Defender, and it did not alert until I attempted to open the message, and then it prevented the infection. I guess that is an example of not scanning incoming mail, but preventing the executions of the virus.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yep that is pretty much how it works. personally I like to have the scanner scan my email.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, BigC. I like the incoming scan better also, but I guess I would not let that be the single thing that would prevent me from using Avira for example.

I think that both KAV6 and F-Secure scan incoming mail. Do you happen to know?

I appreciate the help.
    Jerry

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

They do. Several others do also, my Panda scans in/out mail :thumb:

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, again. I like both KAV6 and F-Secure so well that I am not contemplating a change, but I do like to know as much as I can about others.

I am very interested in how the beta of F-Protect will turn out.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i do like f-secure mu current av but slow scanning and a bit of resourse hog.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, it does scan slowly. It does use more memory than others, but I must say that I do not notice any slowdown over my previous trial of NOD32.
    F-Secure also runs with fewer conflicts on my system than some others.

Jerry

8. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

Regarding the above about F-Secure and NOD32 appearing to have the same effect, is that on basic system performance, scan times, time to open and send emails, or all of the aboveo_O

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Scan times are longer with F-Secure, and run about 45 - 50 minutes as opposed to about 30 - 35 for NOD32.
    Other than that I did not notice any difference in any other area. I did not notice any difference in the area of emails or boot times, etc.

F-Secure uses more memory, but as long as I do not notice any slowdown it is OK with me.
    Overall I like as well or better than NOD, but slightly prefer KAV6. Updates are normally 2 per day, and none on weekends unless there is some special need. I am not especially concerned with that, but it is a reason that I prefer KAV. F-Secure advertises that they are the fastest at adding new signatures when a new virus is discovered. I'll let someone else argue that.

As with other applications experiences vary, and the only way to decide is to try it. With trials of 6 months, and 1 year it is very attractive. I assume that the one year trial is still good. I did uninstall it once, and the uninstall went without incident.

Best,
    Jerry

10. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

it tried to kill my brand new laptop... installed it was the slowest my computer has ever run. even slower than NIS! and i prefer to have my computer perfectly pristine so I like AVs to scan incoming email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.