Email Integration

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Oswald2, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

On Windows XP Home SP3. Using NOD32 AV 5 here with Thunderbird 6.0.2. In NOD32 settings under Web and Email|Email Client Protection|Email Client Integration all boxes are checked for all the email clients.

How do I know if integration in Thunderbird is actually working? It seems that in other versions (4 or ESS) there was an option to scan messages that appears in the Thunderbird menus. I don't see any indication that NOD32 is integrated into Thunderbird.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Currently EAV/ESS v5 supports integration with v5 and older versions. However, email received via POP3/POP3S or IMAP/IMAPS is scanned regardless of the email client used.

3. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

OK. What about older messages that may have slipped through with a nasty before a signature was out? Does a NOD32 disk scan find those old infections in the Thunderbird message database?

4. piranha

piranha Registered Member

yes, if email integration, by default email are scanned again. Just have a look to your advanced setup for email client

(sorry, I have a french version, looks like this... )
    Setup, .... adv setup tree, pw if pw protect, web and mail, email client, look at right side of the window, repeat email scan after update

5. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

I think ESET should not try to incorporate functions to other software. The antivirus software works independently, this should be also for the antispam (ESET Smart Security).

6. piranha

piranha Registered Member

if it increase security, why not

7. Marcos

Would you like not to have control over emails in your inbox? Ie. if you received email with an outdated signature database or email protection was disabled for some reason, you might like to have your inbox rescanned later.

8. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

Typically, antivirus and antispam do their control before the mails are entered in the messaging software (however AntispamSniper is integrated in some messaging softwares).

The integration of NOD32 in softwares messaging only allows a new check (e-mails have already been checked once).

You can see the problem with Thunderbird and the number of people who are frustrated or worried because they do not see the ESET bar in Thunderbird.

With SMART Security the anti-spam does not work with Thunderbird (or with WLM 2011). This was the situation when I tried to SMART Security (in july).

Most infections are in mail attachments. These are checked again when the user opens the attachments (with new signatures).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  9. Velociraptor

Velociraptor Registered Member

I am wondering why the problem is the same with Thunderbird 7. All mail-box features are checked as being active, but the ESET Bar is not visible (the plugin has been disabled automatically due to incompatibility with newer versions of Thunderbird). I´m running ESS v5.0.93.0 on Win7 x64 Ultimate.

I would think that it should be possible for the Eset developers to get their hands on earlier betas of all newer versions of Thunderbird, in order to make the toolbar compatible and work correctly in ESS ? Within the next couple of months they (mozilla) will release Thunderbird v8 & v9.. It would be great to have the Eset toolbar work ! ;)

10. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

The big issue seems to be that in order to provide a new plugin, it is necessary to release a major update of Eset. At least that is the impression that I have gotten. It would be better if the plugin could be released in a way similar to the release of program modules. That is probably wishful thinking, like Star Trek transporters to replace planes, trains, and automobiles.

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It takes time to code, test, verify and document software like plug-ins, and trying to create a stable plugin against something that has daily builds would require a kind of concomitant effort to ship an updated plug-in which might work only for several hours. Changes occur frequently in beta builds, and trying to create production level code to match that is difficult at best.

Just to give an analogy, imagine two machine guns firing at the same time, trying to hit each others' bullets. It is a pretty exacting task which requires a lot of set up in laboratory-type circumstances, and is likely only to work in those selfsame circumstances.

I just read that Mozilla is considering a type of "Extended Support Release" cycle for Firefox and perhaps they will extend this to Thunderbird, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

I think the real problem here is Mozilla's decision to do full point releases for very minor updates. The older version numbering worked just fine and you had broken plugins far less often. Now they've jumped on the Chrome bandwagon and are trying to see who can hit 3 digit full version numbers first.

13. rantank

rantank Registered Member

I don't care who's fault it is. I just care that my antivirus program no longer integrates with my email program. One of them is going to be changed.

14. Marcos

Unless you're using ESS and the spam filter, you should not be concerned whether or not integration with a particular email client is supported as incoming emails will be scanned for the presence of malware.

15. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

If you want an assurance about the verification, ask to NOD32 that it indicates a message when it checks the incoming messages:

F5 > Web and email > Email Client protection >Append tag messages to received and read mail> To all scanned email.

You can read the confirmation of the verification at the end of each email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.