ekrn.exe causing active programs to temporarily freeze

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Alarik, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alarik

Alarik Registered Member

been having this problem for a while but only just discovered the cause where the program i am using will stop responding for somewhere between 5-45 seconds. It happens mostly to opera as i use it most times but also world of tanks online game where it will freeze for the above mentioned time before going back to normal except with a very high ping untill the game forces me to disconnect or i force close the game.

In Resource Monitor when i analyze the wait chains for the program i am using at the time, when the program i'm analyzing freezes, ekrn.exe is listed as the culprit.

I was using version 5.0.94 but uninstalled and reinstalled 5.0.95 and the problem continued.

System OS Windows 7 64bit Home premium

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling real-time protection (for a test) make a difference? If so, do you use default settings?

3. Alarik

Alarik Registered Member

Well i removed Eset again and installed a free antivirus just to check if problem went away, which it did. I reinstalled Eset, left real time protection on till it froze before attempting your suggestion, but it has been running for last couple of nights without issues. Usually the issue would occur approximately hourly. So i guess the 2nd reinstall has fixed the problem :)

4. Thai

Thai Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem. Reported it before but got fobbed off with a long winded 'fix' that would be well beyond the non-tech user - let alone someone who does not come to this forum.

Appears that 'upgrades' over time are not as simple as one might suppose.

Having to jump technical hoops because software fails to operate normally, and to do uninstall and safe mode cleanup etc etc to overcome ESET that causes system freezes - makes me wonder about EST 5 +.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.