ekrn.exe averaging 10% cpu on system idle

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by fixxxer, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fixxxer

fixxxer Registered Member

I decided to give Nod32 AV a go, downloaded and installed the trial version today. So far it hasn't been good. ekrn.exe is averaging 10% cpu usage even when my system is completely idle (no disk access either).
    I disabled Real-time protection and instantly went down to 0%. Once i enable it again it goes back to about 10%. This is no solution though. The cpu usage should be at 0% especially when doing nothing. The reason i decided to give Nod32 AV a go is because i wanted a lightweight realtime protection solution

Any clues on why this is happening? I haven't changed any of the default scanning settings.

My system specs :
    Core2 Duo processor 2.2ghz
    2GB ram
    Windows Vista 32bit

2. fixxxer

Alright i've found the problem. It kept scanning my sidebar.ini over and over again. I added it to the exclusion list and the cpu usage is 0% now :)

I think i saw in another post that one user had the same problem with his sidebar folder. Maybe a bug when certain gadgets are running?
    I'm gonna remove the exclusion and try closing some gadgets to see if a specific gadget is what's causing the problem

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello fixxxer,

For my own knowledge and for future reference, what program is "sidebar.ini" part of :doubt:

Bubba

4. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Should be Samurize.

5. fixxxer

Sidebar.ini is part of the Windows Vista Sidebar!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.