Eicar Mailtest !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Benvan45, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Who says it is?

Putin

2. Benvan45

The only way you test your AV is with a real virus?
    Why all the thousands of articles in magazines with tests.....o_O?
    Why VB100 .......o_O?

;) Putin

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Where have you seen its supported by avast! !? And at time i added it on page it used only few types of tests (mainly archived types and with regular attachement methods,not some encoded crap). Haven't tested with it since then...

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think you missed something - I am not an AV tester and I do not test my AV. I bought it to detect virii (after extensive research) - I actually hope it does not detect harmless files because I consider false positives to be a very bad thing. I have written no articles or performed AV tests and have never claimed to.

5. Benvan45

Just follow this link and take a look at the bottom........I can't believe you don't know this, come on now!!!!!!

I found this link a long time ago and tested many AV's with (I think) great test. The reason for me to look at this site........because I regard you highly as an AV expert and therefore use your site frequently, but now you are fighting it......and that really surprises me.
    Maybe it's time to take a look again and remove your so-called 'encoded CRAP'.

Take care...... ;) Putin

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I still don't get this part:
    "...it's even supported by AVAST!!!!!"

7. Benvan45

At the bottom of your site: http://www.security-ops.tk/ there is a logo from Avast and it states: " supported by Avast " and you asked me where I found this...........

Putin

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats because i have also a domain icon and i cannot state Protected by: and under that add avast! picture and domain picture. How can domain protect files?
    It can't,so i added supported by.
    I added avast! icon there because all files are scanned by avast! before are uploaded to server. There was an incident where someone was stating that i was distributing worms through email while that is very impossible (GMail denies any suspicious attachements and everything is checked by avast!+my very own NeuroHeuristics(TM)). I'm gonna dump that domain anyway,so i'll fix this text.

9. Benvan45

After a number of very diasappointing reactions ( for me anyway......) I'll just leave it at that!!

I feel the resistance coming out of the same corner all the time......yes: the NOD32 corner.

I have to admit....it's a good AV, but there's more out there and I find it very shortsighted just to refer to this program all the time.

I'll rest my case and wish you all the best of luck, but find it a shame to always read Nod, Nod, Nod......and so on.

That's it!

God luck.

Putin

10. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

It looks like they are deleted before they arrive. My ISP uses Brightmail. Every single test was deleted. There's nothing for NOD32 to warn for.
    *edit - spoke too soon.All but the last 2. #24 I could not open because I don't have an app associated with the file type. Outpost won't let me open the last one:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I guess I'm supposed to be a "NOD" corner but I actually use/maintain one copy of NOD and 4 AVG installations, plus about 4 more AVG installs I keep up with for friends. I admit I don't consider AVG "as good" but I certainly hope it will not have FPs either.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  12. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Regardless of what anyone says...I'm a NOD fan. IMO..it's the best AV on the market (and not just because I'm a reseller). I have run several different AV's on many different types of machines and I always go back to NOD32. I have never had an infection on any of the systems I run NOD on and I do go to some sites on the "darkside".

I know there are other great AV's out there and credit where credit is due. But, for my (and my clients) money...it doesn't get any better than NOD32.

13. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Im not an expert, just still wonder why the other AV (except dr web) fails the test. The site is known, the test is known, it would be very easy to include these 'items' to their database. This make me to think that something is not going ok with this test.
    thanks

14. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Putin, your whole post is most offensive with this initial post:

RejZoR is for sure not a fanatic NOD32 user - he is a "Avast Fan".
    And he's still trying to explain to you why such tests are "full of ****".
    And to make one comment on this, i for one consider RejZoR regarding technically facts of av software much more experienced than you.

He did hit the nail on the head in this thread already a few times. Or do you think i would offer him a six pack just for writing ********?! :eek:

And i tell you now a thing what you wouldn't expect:
    If somebody would start such **** against another antivirus, AVAST or Kasperksy for instance i would also join this thread and defend THESE PRODUCTS! Period!

Your Dr.Web failed also this test by missing 2 emails! If this would be really important wouldn't you agree with me that Dr.Web should have detected this 2 emails?! I remember such email test sites very well - just take a look in one of my last postings here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=435206&postcount=3

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Otherwise i prefer GFI Email Security Test which is not limited to antivirus only and uses normal unmodified EICAR sample as one of the tests.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok,i tried this mail test again just for fun and it came 100% blocked.
    GMail blocked those more obvious EICAR samples,other encoded garbage was just displayed as plain-text(harmless) and last TNEF (winmail.dat) was intercepted by avast! on download (using explorer extension scan,otherwise mailscanner would pick it for sure (since it's just an archive).

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

This may be a bit off topic, but hopefully I'm ok. :)

Everytime I install an AV to see how I like it and how it runs on my computer, I run the official Eicar test. Of all the AV's that I installed, all except AVG would detect the eicar.com.txt test. Isn't that not a good thing? I'm not bashing AVG, it does ok on the other eicar test. I just want to know how that affects a typical user if the AV he/she is using won't detect the eicar.com.txt test.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You need to set AVG to scan all files. That should do the trick.
    And you also showed the true purpose of EICAR sample. It's used to verify if antivirus is working at all.

19. Benvan45

As I stated a few posts back.......I'll leave it at that. You get all boiled up and even call my post offensive, just because I mention Nod32. Man....oh man.....that's exactly what I mean. Mind your reaction a bit and stop throwing
    the **** at Dr. Web now, because it misses 2 emails.

I really didn't expect such a mad tongue from you........cool down and try to broaden your mind. It would brighten your life!!!

End of discussion for me, period!!!!!

Greetings,

Putin

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  20. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks RejZor. I'll check that out.

21. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I must say 'Happy Bytes' that I doubt it necessary to include various swear words within your posts I dont come here to read that sort of thing, and please bear in mind we have a wide variety of users here of all ages.
    I am aware you are a new user here but please dont lower the tone with such language.

22. Benvan45

Thank you Tinribs, glad you notice the violent way of reacting, as indeed there is a wide variety of users here.

I have been askes before, but forgot by whom, why I even visit this forum if I don't like Nod32. I merely stated, that I am free to visit any forum that's public and I am seeking good information about AV programs and not 100% commercial chit-chat about 'the one and only' AV scanner.

Thanks again.

;) Putin

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Wilders' is NOT just about NOD32. Its about security, computers, hardware, software. Just because Eset's got its official support forum here, does NOT mean Wilders' is owned by Eset. The NOD forum is just a part of Wilders.

When I joined Wilders', I too had been warned by a few 'guest' friends about the NOD 'fanboys'. And when I did join? What did I see? I saw NO FANBOYISM WHATSOEVER. I saw friendly, yes, FRIENDLY people from the NOD community.

Happy Bytes always present his honest opinion - That of a professional. I cant think of a single reason why I should not believe his word. Having worked for a large number of companies, Happy Bytes, is in NO WAY, partial to NOD32 when he comments on things he disagrees with.

I am NOT a NOD32 fanboy, I'm using ArcaVir right now and am happy with it.

I wont comment on this mail test yet. Its the real world that does matter; and I'll post back when I've done further analysis on this test.

Of course, I am NOT saying Dr.Web is bad.

24. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

May I also state that I do not use Nod32 either, I haven't for over a year, I found his foul language offensive the same as I would have found anyone using those words.

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, he does sometimes not use the best of words to express what he wants to. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.